Zoom Transition between two views of the same map on Sidecar

Jump to solution
07-15-2019 11:37 AM
MatthewHowland
New Contributor II

Hello,

In the classic StoryMap cascade, one could add a map into an immersive section, then Duplicate that map to create another identical slide, but by adjusting the scale/zoom of the second map, the transition between the two would appear as a zoom in or out to the new map extent. The new StoryMaps app seems to lack functionality to duplicate a map within the Sidecar (which is fine since one can just add the same map again) but the possibility of a zoom transition, which is more aesthetically-pleasing than a simple fade transition, seems to be lost. Please let me know if I am overlooking something or if you have any advice.

Thank You,

Matt Howland

PS: in case it isn't clear what I'm referring to, the zoom effect I'm talking about is shown in this StoryMap, with the text beginning with "Web maps that occupy every last pixel because you don't want to waste pixels on not maps? Immersive!"   https://nation.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=5cd671a4cf1844b7854220979574b927

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Matthew -- The ability to have transitions between sidecar slides that move the map or toggle layer visibility isn't available in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps just yet, but it is one of the features we are working on for release in the next few months.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

8 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Matthew -- The ability to have transitions between sidecar slides that move the map or toggle layer visibility isn't available in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps just yet, but it is one of the features we are working on for release in the next few months.

Owen Evans
MatthewHowland
New Contributor II

Thank you for your prompt reply Owen!

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Owen,

Is there anywhere we can find dates of next releases of StoryMaps with projected improvements?

Thanks,

Erica

Erica
deleted-user-Q7YCQS4CXs1p
New Contributor

This was the best thing about StoryMaps - when will it be available again?

BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

Any updates on whether this is possible yet? I'm trying to get this functionality to work in a scene.

0 Kudos
JulieGrindborg
New Contributor III

it has been 3,5 years since it would reappear in "the next few months", when will this be possible again? This was also one of my favorite things about storymaps.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JulieGrindborg -- This capability was added to ArcGIS StoryMaps back in late 2019, so it has been available for a long time. I'm sorry this thread wasn't updated.

However, please note there was a bug introduced a few weeks ago that is currently preventing this from working as expected. We plan to fix that bug this week, so this will be back to normal in a few days.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Related thread: Solved: Re: Story Maps have lost auto zoom function to con... - Esri Community

Owen Evans
0 Kudos