Why the audio of an uploaded video in Sidecar StoryMaps does not work?

07-28-2020 04:21 AM
MATTEOVALLI
New Contributor

Hello, 

I uploaded a video in Sidecar but the audio does not start with the images.

So, I tried to embed a video link and in this way it is possible to hear the audio but it does not work as if it is uploaded. Indeed, we have to push "play" to start it while with uploaded ones, videos starts as we scroll down the page. 

If I just add a video without using Sidecar, it is not better as the video goes on loop both with uploaded and embedded videos

Is there any chance to use Sidecar function, upload a video and get the audio working with it?

Thanks 

Matteo

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Matteo -- thanks for your feedback about ArcGIS StoryMaps. We are looking into that enhancement for a future release. Can you share a little more about your story and the content of the video that you are looking to add so we can understand more about what you are trying to do?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
MATTEOVALLI
New Contributor

Hi Owen, thanks for your answer. I am building a story of an organisation working with refugees and I would like to insert some seconds from a video they did to complete the text. In the video some of the beneficiaries are presenting themselves and the projects. Furthermore, I wanted to insert videos (with audio) both in sidecar and slideshow functions. 

If you are working on it, I think it is important to have commands related to video looping and possibility to choose if to start it automatically or by pushing play. 

Thanks for your support and I hope the audio/video features will be inserted in coming releases.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Matteo -- Thanks for providing additional information about the story you are working on. We are looking at some of the options you've mentioned, but there are a lot of considerations to make sure we provide a good experience.

Currently, we do not recommend adding any type of media with narration (that is, spoken word audio) to a sidecar/slideshow media panel. This is because this media is played automatically when readers visit the slide. Web browsers require that audio be initially muted for any autoplaying media, so if your video/audio file has narration your readers may miss the beginning.

For audio that is narrated we recommend adding it inline in the main part of your story, or in the narrative (side or floating) panel of a sidecar.

If you want to make a video fill the page, you can insert it inline in the main part of your story and use the LARGE size. This will make a video the same size as the slideshow or sidecar media panel.

I hope this information is helpful and thanks again for providing your detailed feedback. I've recorded your requests in our planning system for future consideration.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
MATTEOVALLI
New Contributor

Hi Owen -- Thanks, this information was useful

0 Kudos