Web Maps Not Displaying in StoryMaps

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 07:32 AM
jfischer91
New Contributor III

We're creating a Story Map with ArcGIS Story Maps, and everything was working fine until last Friday it seems; now, whether viewing the Story Map in Chrome or Edge, certain web maps will not display. Or, they'll display after clearing your browser cache upon first load but then disappear after a while. The behavior is the same whether editing or previewing the Story Map. I'm guessing it's related to the update esri pushed a few days ago?  Is anyone else having this experience, and have you found a workaround?  I'm wondering if it's related to if the web map was authored in Classic Map Viewer or the new one, but I haven't tested it fully to know for sure.

Example screenshot of what I mean attached.

72 Replies
YelenaCummings
New Contributor III

Owen, the storymap and all layers, and all data in this storymap are shared publicly. The first few maps are showed. But all analysis maps are missing. And  that storymap was made for the fire department that faces a huge personnel layoff. I am not sure when exactly they present it to the desition-makers but, it would be awful if the storymap would show the empty maps instead of analysis

https://arcg.is/145Lyz0https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/a08e37bad23e4e8185e627899214a896

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@YoannPalacio -- Thank you for providing that link. We took at look and I believe we've found the issue. We should be able to address it our next update this week. Please check back Thurs morning and let us know if you still see the issue.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
YoannPalacio
New Contributor II

I will check this out! Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
JACooper
New Contributor III

@jfischer91 , thank you for raising this issue. I and my organizational colleague have experienced the same issues with story maps. Our issues began on Friday, 24 June ’22. Our troubles were similar. The maps would initially appear, and then after a first scroll through most of the story map, the inset maps would disappear. In the editing window, it would not allow us to “place map.” We found similar issues in the ESRI community*, but we too wondered if the bug originated from the recent update.  

These issues persisted whether or not the user was viewing an editing or published version, had an AGOL account or not, used Chrome or Edge, use an incognito/private versus normal browser, had ESRI experience or not, or inserted text or not. *Links to maps exhibiting symptoms or screenshots can be provided upon request. I have attached a screenshot of the issue as well. 

@YoannPalacio , I tried your map and had a similar user experience to what you described. This matches the issues my story maps are showing.  

@OwenGeo , thank you for the update. Our organization relies on story maps to fulfill contractual deliverables, so your swift attention to this issue is much appreciated. Regular updates would be a boon as well. Let me know if I can provide any more information to help the swift resolution to the debugging. Thank you! 

*Note: In an effort to get past the ESRI community bot to allow this legitimate post to remain live, I have removed links and attachments. 

JACooper
New Contributor III

*Trying links and screenshots here:

...We found similar issues in the ESRI community (see primarily here but also here and here)....

...Some of the maps we were trying to publish that are exhibiting these symptoms can be found here and here. I have attached a screenshot of the issue as well....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JACooper -- If you have any public story links to stories that were experiencing these issues that you can share here, please do so and we can test them on our side.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
JACooper
New Contributor III

@OwenGeo, gladly. My posts with these links have been "marked as spam and...been removed" by the community bot, so fingers crossed that this works: 

Some of the maps we were trying to publish that are exhibiting these symptoms can be found here and here.

0 Kudos
JACooper
New Contributor III

I would gladly do so, but any of my posts with these links to public story maps have been "marked as spam and...been removed" by the community bot. I've been trying all day to provide links and screenshots. You can search the spam history for this thread for these items; I'll try a few more tricks below in the meantime.

0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi @JACooper  I am sorry to hear you are running into issues with posting in the community. I just updated your community role to active user, this should help with what you are allowed to do, also if the spam filter picks it up  we (community team) can and will release it as soon as we see it. you can always drop us an email and we will go check and release if we haven't gotten to it yet): esricommunity@esri.com

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
YelenaCummings
New Contributor III

we have the same issue

0 Kudos