Select to view content in your preferred language

Web Maps Not Displaying in StoryMaps

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 07:32 AM
jfischer91
New Contributor III

We're creating a Story Map with ArcGIS Story Maps, and everything was working fine until last Friday it seems; now, whether viewing the Story Map in Chrome or Edge, certain web maps will not display. Or, they'll display after clearing your browser cache upon first load but then disappear after a while. The behavior is the same whether editing or previewing the Story Map. I'm guessing it's related to the update esri pushed a few days ago?  Is anyone else having this experience, and have you found a workaround?  I'm wondering if it's related to if the web map was authored in Classic Map Viewer or the new one, but I haven't tested it fully to know for sure.

Example screenshot of what I mean attached.

72 Replies
JocelynTutak
New Contributor II

Thanks! I looked in Classic Boards first, but wondered if there was crossover (and I may also have been seeded by the OP's mention of the Classic viewer).

I will pass along the note that a layer's sharing permissions may have been changed.

0 Kudos
RENYULIU
New Contributor
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@RENYULIU -- I'm sorry you are seeing an issue with your story. I did a search for the web map that isn't loading (id: 180af6c32d2f4b7a8c38af21ec2f79ae) and it appears that map is either not shared with everyone/publicly or it has been deleted. That's the reason it is not loading.

Please log in to your account and check the status of this map and if it's not shared please share it. If it has been deleted you'll need to recreate the map and re-add it to your story and republish.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
Lvivcenter
New Contributor III

Dear Owen,

Currently, we've been experiencing the very same issue with our storymaps. Please, see the links:
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/a0da72e32cce4e14a39a502f9f662e65
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/66fb8de94ee242c29ded035ce04ed3ca 
We are about to promote the publications, but with no maps working, we need to postpone it until the issue is solved. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Lvivcenter -- I'm sorry you encountered an issue with maps loading in your stories. I just opened both stories and scrolled all the way through them and didn't see any issues. (See screenshots I just took, below.)

Are you still seeing something or has the problem been addressed? Please try accessing the stories from a different browser or in a private browsing window. If the issue persists, please contact Esri Support and they can help troubleshoot as it might be an issue specific to your machine or network environment.

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 7.42.00 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 7.42.09 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 7.42.19 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 7.42.25 AM.jpg

  

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Lvivcenter
New Contributor III

Dear Owen, 

Thank you, it still doesn't work in private mode but works fine in other browsers. So, it was probably a cache issue. It should be fine now.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Taras

geogalusa
New Contributor

I'm the coordinator for the state HS + MS ArcGIS Online competition sponsored by Esri.  This bug has re-appeared.  The story maps load blank-  This is more than one AGO organization where story maps can't load.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@geogalusa -- If you are having an issue seeing web maps, it is not due to the bug mentioned in this thread. 

Please make sure you publish your stories from the story builder and review the permissions of the maps, scenes, and layers that appear in your stories. Also ensure the maps/scenes do not have an excessive number of layers. See Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation for details.

If you have checked these items and are still having trouble, please provide the links to your stories (if they are publicly shared), or contact Esri Technical Support if you cannot share your stories publicly.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CarstenBraun
New Contributor

Hi Owen, seems like maybe this issue is back after your ArcGIS Online update last night - my web maps are no longer displayed in my story map (except, for some weird reason, the first one). Here's the story map: https://arcg.is/1P8fDO0. The timing is a little unfortunate as I'm supposed to present this at a conference on Saturday. Any thoughts? Thanks, Carsten

0 Kudos
Oregon_OEM
New Contributor

We're running into a similar issue on one of ours as well: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/8f13909f2af14774aabeae254dab5cdd?item=1

0 Kudos