Web Map pop ups do not match in Story Map

Jump to solution
02-17-2021 02:29 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I configure the bar chart in the pop up for a layer in web the bars are blue and when I pull that same web map into my story map the bars in the bar chart turn an ugly orange.  How do I configure the colors of the bars in my bar chart or at least have them reflect their color in the web map configuration?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

The difference lies in the fact that the current Map Viewer and StoryMaps use a different version of the JS API under the hood. If you take a look at your pop-ups using Map Viewer Beta you'll have a better idea of what you will see in your story. Chart colors are not yet customizable, but eventually will be.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
BernSzukalski

The difference lies in the fact that the current Map Viewer and StoryMaps use a different version of the JS API under the hood. If you take a look at your pop-ups using Map Viewer Beta you'll have a better idea of what you will see in your story. Chart colors are not yet customizable, but eventually will be.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Bern, I appreciate it.  Any idea of when that function will be available?

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

It's hard to say exactly when, but I ran this past the dev team... It's difficult to predict because as yet there is a lot of internal discussion about how this is to be implemented, and what the UX will be. I would guess that later this year - Q4 - is when we might add some capabilities. If you would like, you can send me a description of your needs and how you would like this to work via email to bszukalski@esri.com and I will make sure the feedback gets to the team and product management.

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146
Occasional Contributor II

@BernSzukalski any updates on this functionality? Right now I have a layer that is blue and I'd really love the chart in the pop-up to match.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

I updated this blog article not long ago to include charts with colors. You can't independently change chart colors in pop-ups but depending on how you have styled your layer, the chart element will match the style color.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/configure-pop-ups-charts/

It seems I've forgotten to add a link to the sample map in the blog article and I will go back and do that. But here's the direct link - just make the "charts with colors" layer visible and hide the other layers and you'll see the results.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=e1669785533b45eb906c20cab4fb9baa

0 Kudos
ArielLow2146
Occasional Contributor II

@BernSzukalski thanks for the update! Unfortunately I need to style my layer using color and size.

ArielLow2146_0-1663360842070.png

Based on your response it sounds like changing the pop-up chart color when using this type of symbology is not currently possible, is that right? If so, do you know if/when that might change?

Currently my layer is using a grey/blue color ramp which is important given the subject and having orange charts is a little jarring.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

It's not supported across all styles. The ones that do support it are the predominant category and predominant category and size, and charts and charts and size. And with those, the chart element colors are automatically set to match the style - you can't change them.

Chart color customization is on the to-do list, but TBD when that might happen. 

BernSzukalski

I forgot to add that those chart colors in web maps made with Map Viewer will absolutely display in ArcGIS StoryMaps. Here's the above map in a test story.

s4.png

0 Kudos