Video size/dimensions being cropped in StoryMap

Jump to solution
04-13-2021 02:50 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

I have added a video to one of our StoryMaps, but it is cropping the dimensions so that only the middle (horizontally-speaking) of the video displays. The video is a screen recording from a mobile device, so is 'long' vertically. Is there a way of making sure the full screen is shown in the video and not just the middle section?

I have attached some screenshots for comparison of what it should look like (left) vs. how it appears in StoryMaps (right).

s123 video full.JPGs123 video cropped.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DataOfficer

Hi Owen,

On further testing this only appears to affect adding in videos using the normal route of the + symbol (MEDIA -> Video) in the main body of the story. The video is a screen recording from my mobile device. 

If I instead add the video in to a sidecar then I have the option to Fit (do not crop) which resolves the issue. However this is not an option when adding the video inline.

The only workaround I have found so far is to import the video in to a video editor and then save it from there. This shows the mobile screen recording in a bigger 'normal' sized window (see image below).

DataOfficer_0-1618388655459.png

Many thanks,
Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DataOfficer -- Hi and thanks for posting your question about how this video is appearing in your story. Can you provide a link to the story (and share it with Everyone) or can you provide more information about where in the story this video was placed (cover, sidecar media panel, inline, etc.).

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
DataOfficer

Hi Owen,

On further testing this only appears to affect adding in videos using the normal route of the + symbol (MEDIA -> Video) in the main body of the story. The video is a screen recording from my mobile device. 

If I instead add the video in to a sidecar then I have the option to Fit (do not crop) which resolves the issue. However this is not an option when adding the video inline.

The only workaround I have found so far is to import the video in to a video editor and then save it from there. This shows the mobile screen recording in a bigger 'normal' sized window (see image below).

DataOfficer_0-1618388655459.png

Many thanks,
Rob

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DataOfficer -- If you'd rather have the video inline in the main part of your story (not in a sidecar media panel), you could try the FLOAT media size option. That may still crop the video a little, but more of it will be shown since the width is much narrower.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.14.03 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
DataOfficer

Hi @OwenGeo, I did try the float, small, medium and large options but they all crop a large amount of the video window. The right-hand image in my original post above is the video in float mode.

Many thanks,
Rob

OdwaDandala1
New Contributor II

I have a similar problem. The video I uploaded directly from my PC. The video is long vertically and when playing it in the story map it only shows the bottom half of the video only. Any workaround resolving this issue?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@OdwaDandala1 -- At this time, we don't have plans at this time to add fit/fill settings for inline videos, but I'd suggest that you add this as an idea to our Ideas Board so we can track it and consider it for the future.

For now, you could try one of these workarounds:

• Add the video to a slideshow and choose FIT in the video appearance options. This might work if you are ok using the "large" block size.
  • Reorganize the story so you can add your video to a sidecar media panel (where you can also choose FIT).
  • Host the video on Vimeo, YouTube, or other video hosting site. I think this would handle the vertical video and fit it to the block size so you could use it in a small/medium block.
Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OdwaDandala1
New Contributor II

Thank you @OwenGeo