Url parameter locale is not working with Storymap inside Storymap Collection

Jump to solution
05-13-2020 03:17 AM
GuyNizry
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

I'm trying to use the new Storymap inside Storymap Collection.

The Storymap is in Hebrew and in order to have the text direction from right to left I'm adding ?&locale=he to the end of the url address of the published Storymap.

It works great for a single Storymap, and also for the  Storymap Collections entrance page, I get Hebrew interface and text direction is from right to left as expected, but when entering one of the Storymaps inside the Collection the direction is changed back to left to right.

Is there something I can do to force the story map Hebrew locale inside a Storymap Collection?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Guy -- The language setting for a collection or story is based on the browser/OS language settings of reader. This applies to a story being viewed inside a collection. 

In other words, people who have their computers configured with Hebrew as the primary language will see a collection and the stories inside it in a right-to-left text direction. They will also see Hebrew for the user interface language (tooltips, header menus, dates, etc.).

The locale URL parameter is intended for simulation and testing as opposed to forcing particular language settings to appear for other readers, so that is why what you are trying to do is not working at this time. Also, for readers logged in to an ArcGIS account while viewing your story, their account's language setting may override the language set in their browser/OS in some situations.

We do have plans to build more language-based tools into ArcGIS StoryMaps in the future, so we will look into this situation as we are planning those features.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Guy -- The language setting for a collection or story is based on the browser/OS language settings of reader. This applies to a story being viewed inside a collection. 

In other words, people who have their computers configured with Hebrew as the primary language will see a collection and the stories inside it in a right-to-left text direction. They will also see Hebrew for the user interface language (tooltips, header menus, dates, etc.).

The locale URL parameter is intended for simulation and testing as opposed to forcing particular language settings to appear for other readers, so that is why what you are trying to do is not working at this time. Also, for readers logged in to an ArcGIS account while viewing your story, their account's language setting may override the language set in their browser/OS in some situations.

We do have plans to build more language-based tools into ArcGIS StoryMaps in the future, so we will look into this situation as we are planning those features.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
GuyNizry
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Owen for the information and your prompt response.

I hope there will be a way in future release to force the Hebrew locale in

Storymap Collection (as in Storymap) for readers who use other language

settings in browser/OS or AGOL account.

It will be very useful.

Thanks,

Guy

‫בתאריך יום ד׳, 13 במאי 2020 ב-15:44 מאת ‪Owen Evans‬‏ <‪geonet@esri.com

‬‏>:‬

GeoNet, The Esri Community | GIS and Geospatial Professional Community

<https://community.esri.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Url parameter locale is not working with Storymap inside Storymap

Collection

reply from Owen Evans

<https://community.esri.com/people/OEvans-esristaff?et=watches.email.thread>

in ArcGIS StoryMaps - View the full discussion

<https://community.esri.com/message/928666-re-url-parameter-locale-is-not-working-with-storymap-inside-storymap-collection?commentID=928666&et=watches.email.thread#comment-928666>

0 Kudos