Transferring StoryMap to a different account

11-16-2020 06:02 AM
SavannahDarr
New Contributor

There are older posts about this topic, but the solutions do not appear to still work. I created a StoryMap in a free ArcGIS account to then discover that my very large organization has a paid subscription and could make me an account. I cannot seem to transfer the StoryMap I created in my free account to the new paid one. I do not think merging the two accounts will be an option as our organization's IT is quite strict. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello!  Did you try https://ago-assistant.esri.com/ ? That is what I use.  However it will only work with the classic story maps.  It won't work with the new story maps from what I understand; at least not at the current time, from what I understand.  I have transferred new story maps from 1 account to another, but I have had to use a copy and paste operation which does work but it takes awhile.    Maybe others know more.

--Joseph Kerski 

0 Kudos
SavannahDarr
New Contributor

I appreciate the reply. I saw this online as well. Mine is a new story map and I found that those do not transfer this way. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Savannah -- Please see this post for a way to move a stories created with ArcGIS StoryMaps between accounts in different organizations.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Owen.  Yes, I do use the Duplicate function all the time but have not used the Clone Notebook function from Peter, yet.  

--Joseph K 

0 Kudos
SavannahDarr
New Contributor

I do not have the appropriate software to even open the notebook file. I cannot make any of these "work arounds" function. Is there not a way to simply give one story map to a new user? I work in government so there is no way they are going to merge my free account with the organization. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Savannah - Unfortunately, the ArcGIS platform doesn't currently have a simple way to move an item from one organization to another or between a public account and an organization account. This is not a trivial issue as there are many technical challenges and security implications.

The good news is that there are people looking at ways to provide this ability, and I do see signs that a solution will be emerging at some point in the future. There aren't any specifics on the timeline, but we can share those here when they are available.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Savannah -- You mentioned earlier that you could get an account through your organization. One thing to try would be getting that account and logging in with it, then trying the notebook with that account. When you are logged in and have permission to use notebooks (a permission that can be provided as part of your organization account) you can run the notebook. You don't have to download it or have anything on your machine to run it.

When you click the link to the notebook while logged in and with the right permissions, you'll not only see an option to "Download" but also one to "Open Notebook." The notebook has a lot of notes and guidance in it, but it is still a bit complex. This might however at least that might get you past the restrictions you were hitting when trying to use it.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Another option is that you can ask your admin to send you an invitation to join the organization using your existing public account. In that scenario, all the content from your public account will become part of the organization.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos