StoryMaps is zooming and cropping cover images in a terrible way and I can't find the Best Pratice for VERTICAL dimensions

10-21-2021 12:44 PM
StaceMaples
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to use an image that ~1200 wide by 100 high, as a StoryMaps Cover image. StoryMaps seems to be resizing the image, based upon some secret minimum Height requirement, and cropping out half of the image on the horizontal. 

I've found about 10 places where optimal horizontal dimensions are cited, and claims of optimal resizing,  but I can find a word anywhere about vertical dimensions, and this behavior. 

Can someone please post the minimum vertical dimension for StoryMap Cover images that will prevent this behavior?

Stace

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@StaceMaples 

I found a guide online that may assist you in finding your answer: 

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-storymaps/constituent-engagement/images-in-arcgis-s... 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
StaceMaples

Nope. Saw that. Plenty about horizontal dimensions, though. 

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor
StaceMaples

Nope, no Vertical dimensions guidance. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @StaceMaples -- I apologize that getting your cover image the way you want has been frustrating. I think I have some information and tips that will help.

An image on the story cover (and other media panels in the story) has a focal point that allows you to adjust the position of the image within the frame. This eliminates the need to trim your image to an exact size. In fact, trying to use a specific image size (especially very thin images that are wide or tall) generally doesn't give readers a good experience. This is because your story needs to look good on a variety of devices with very different screen sizes and aspect ratios.

The recommended workflow for a cover image is to upload your original/large image, preferably one with a square or landscape aspect ratio like 1:1, 3:2, 4:3 or 16:9 (but it's not important that the image have exactly one of these ratios). Then click the gear and adjust the focal point to ensure the most important part of the image is always shown, regardless of the device size.

Hope this is helpful! Let us know if you have any additional questions about this.

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 4.26.14 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
StaceMaples

OK, so the only way to prevent the behavior is to use close to one of the aspect ratios you cite? It's not dimensions, but restraining/cropping the aspect ratio? So, for instance, if you want to use a panoramic photo as a cover, nice and thin across the top, you're just out of luck?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@StaceMaples -- Those aspect ratios are ones that typically work well for covers, but you can use pano images as long as they are tall enough. For example, the pano image below looks great in a story. I guess your  image at 100px height was just too small. Give it a try around 400 or 500px.

If you're after a much thinner image than the Minimal cover offers, we don't currently have a cover style that supports that right now, but you could submit that as an idea on our Ideas Board so others can comment and upvote it for future consideration.

Beautiful-Panoramic-Image.jpg (3750×1200) (pixelstalk.net)

Beautiful-Panoramic-Image.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 4.56.24 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos