Storymap with Crowdsourced Survey123 data: Auto Legend possible from survey Q's?

Jump to solution
06-14-2021 09:15 AM
JenniferMcRuer
New Contributor II

Hello, 

I am designing a story map that will display crowdsourced content using Survey123. 

I would like a map legend that will filter contributions by type (auto generated from Survey123 entries) - so that when viewing the map, readers can select the legend item of most interest to display only these results. 

I would also like for Survey123 geotagged points on the storymap to afford display of select contributed content from Survey123 when a person hovers over a particular entry. 

I am not a coding developer, so am looking for built-in options.  

Many thanks!

Jen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JenniferMcRuer If you can identify the categories ahead of time, you could use map actions for that. Just make a map that has different layers with filters on the data to show only one category at a time and add that map to the story. Map actions can then be configured to show different states of the map with one of the layers on at a time. Here's more about using map actions: Supercharge your stories with map actions (esri.com)

If the categories are things that can change based on the survey results, or if you want people to be able to turn more than one category on at a time, then you'll need something else. I believe some of the ArcGIS instant apps or configurable apps have this option. (There's an app called "Interactive legend" that looks promising! 🙂 ) Just make one of those, then use the Embed option to embed that app in your story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JenniferMcRuer If you can identify the categories ahead of time, you could use map actions for that. Just make a map that has different layers with filters on the data to show only one category at a time and add that map to the story. Map actions can then be configured to show different states of the map with one of the layers on at a time. Here's more about using map actions: Supercharge your stories with map actions (esri.com)

If the categories are things that can change based on the survey results, or if you want people to be able to turn more than one category on at a time, then you'll need something else. I believe some of the ArcGIS instant apps or configurable apps have this option. (There's an app called "Interactive legend" that looks promising! 🙂 ) Just make one of those, then use the Embed option to embed that app in your story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
JenniferMcRuer
New Contributor II

Thank you, Owen! I'll look into these valued suggestions.

0 Kudos