Storymap Tour Keeps missing the first point

01-25-2022 07:43 AM
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there, 

I have a storymap that just consists of a map tour, embedded in an Experience Builder site.  The story map runs in autoplay mode.  

Most of the time when I load the page, the story skips the first location (it scrolls up in the text, but the map doesn't zoom as it should - it goes straight to the second location).  Sometimes when I load the page, the map doesn't zoom from location to location at all. 

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/95e2ca6befde4ae4809f7b9b7da70f1a/page/StoryMap-Animation/ 

Any guidance on what could be causing this would be gratefully appreciated!

Helen

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Helen, I  have a feeling that this is "normal" behavior. I would suggest having a "zero" location that is your initial landing spot to pick up this lag, and then when it is time to go to location 1, it will behave properly. But that is a cool map and experience builder!

0 Kudos
HelenCooper

Thanks @AdrianWelsh .  I tried doing that (I ideally want the last point added to be the first shown, so am sorting the records in reverse date order); I've tried reversing them but it still skips the first record, and it will be live linked, so it's difficult to add a dummy record.  Thanks for the suggestion though, very much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@HelenCooper -- I'm not sure. Once the tour autoplays to the end and resets, it shows the first point as expected. The issue might have something to do with the order or speed with which the parent page is rendering and loading the embedded content, but I not sure what you could do to change this. ???

UPDATE -- I just reloaded your sample and it looks like you made some changes and it may be working more consistently now? Maybe you changed the EXB template and the new one works better?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
HelenCooper

Thanks @OwenGeo .  It's strange, I didn't make any changes over the last hour, so it depends how recently you were looking!  It seems inconsistent though, sometimes it loads and works pretty smoothly, other times the text scrolls but the map doesn't zoom, and I can't pin down the difference.   I'll keep looking in EXB in case there is anything I can set there, but it's just an embedded iframe, so I don't know if there are any other parameters that I could change?  

<iframe src="https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/044af526906b477aa5401e21c67f4ab1?play=true&speed=medium&cover=f..." width="100%" height="800px" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen allow="geolocation"></iframe>

I guess I could try changing the speed to slow, but the whole thing runs a bit too slowly then!

0 Kudos
HelenCooper

One other strange thing that happens with the iframe is that if I change the height to 100% (which would be ideal), it becomes a small sliver at the top of the screen - any ideas as to what could be causing that or if I'm setting something wrong would be very welcome!

<iframe src="https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/044af526906b477aa5401e21c67f4ab1?play=true&speed=medium&cover=f..." width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen allow="geolocation"></iframe>

0 Kudos