StoryMap Image Positioning Problem

Jump to solution
12-02-2020 12:19 PM
ElaineDonderer
New Contributor

Dear Community,

I am creating a StoryMap that has text alongside images. 

I want them to align side by side and not overlay, but the online program wont let me edit the position of the image other than having it full screen or right in the middle of the layout. How can I choose different positioning? Where can I find more advanced design settings?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ElaineDonderer -- You can float a media element to the left side of the page using the FLOAT option on the media toolbar.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 3.31.32 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ElaineDonderer -- You can float a media element to the left side of the page using the FLOAT option on the media toolbar.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 3.31.32 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Terralytics
New Contributor III

Hi @OwenGeo 

I would like to use the media-elements options within a docked sidecar. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Terralytics -- Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you clarify which options you're referring to and for which panel in the sidecar (media panel or narrative panel)?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KoenVerhoeven
New Contributor

@OwenGeo thanks for your fast reply. I mean the narrative/text panel from the sidecar. So not the media panel for maps and everything. With media-elements I mean settings like floating or resized images. Now all images you enter are always the same width as the narrative panel itselves. It would be great if I can:

1. resize the images in the narrative panel

2. use the images as link to another website

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@KoenVerhoeven -- Ah, ok got it. Unfortunately, neither of those options is currently supported and they aren't on our roadmap at the moment. For now, you can use cards (created via the Embed option) and buttons to create more interesting links for your readers, and you can also put links in image captions.

If you'd like to add these requests as (separate) ideas on the Esri Community StoryMaps Ideas Board, that would be great since others would then be able to vote for these enhancements. If you could include some additional description or even a rough drawing showing the image sizes you are thinking of, that would be helpful to our understanding of your request. Would the media size options only be available for wider panel sizes or would you find it useful to have size options for the narrow panel as well? Does this idea apply to docked or floating panel layout or both?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos