Story Maps not loading

Jump to solution
05-02-2023 11:32 AM
NancyMontes_de_Soto
New Contributor

I am getting a blank page when I am trying to open several of my story maps. I created the story maps long ago, and in the past I had seen a sad face sometimes, but this time I am getting a blank page. I refreshed the page several times and that worked some times but not others. I am using Google Chrome. But I also tried in Microsoft Edge and Firebox - same issue. They were working fine a couple of week ago. Any help?

Tags (1)
80 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DavidNovak -- Are you seeing a white screen or an error screen when the story doesn't load?

There is a known issue we are working on addressing where if you are logged in and view a publicly shared story, and then log out and try to access the story anonymously the story will redirect to an error page for a period of time after you've logged out (until your local cache expires, about an hour).

This issue only affects the one machine where the story was viewed while logged in. Others are still able to see the story as expected. If you try to view the story in a new private browsing window (or clear your browsing data) the story would be viewable.

Does this sound like the issue your customer is experiencing?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
DavidNovak
Esri Contributor

Thanks @OwenGeo for fast reply.

Kind of. This StoryMap is made by our customers. I am logged in to my AGOL account, but not in their organization but in mine. The issue is reproduced for me in Mozzila Firefox, but I was never logged in Firefox.

Edit: "Now testing behavior you are describing. In Chrome I am able to reproduce your issue. After login in any ArcGIS account I am able to see the StoryMap. If I logged out from AGOL I am not able to see StoryMap no more. Is this caused by some Basemap, Custom StoryMap theme or something...?
I am not able to see StoryMap in Firefox if I am not logged in AGOL with any account. Even a free account will make StoryMap visible."

Yes, looks like this is some security, authentication problem. Please do your best, we believe in you! 🙂 If necessary you can contact me by personal message there and we can make some fast call.

David.

0 Kudos
DavidNovak
Esri Contributor

For us, the issue was solved. Thanks, Esri!

0 Kudos
Galen
by
New Contributor II

This issue appears to be back October 6th 2023. All Story Maps are down unless you're logged in. I've confirmed in Chrome and Edge incognito browsers on desktop, and Chrome on mobile. Dev tools gives the following error: net::ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR 200 (OK)

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you for reporting this @Galen. We also detected the issue and our team is looking into it. We hope to have things working as expected again soon.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Galen - We believe this has been resolved. Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue.

Owen Evans
jkennedyie
New Contributor

Hi,

I have submitted details as a bug report but FYI the following public story map rendered as a blank white page this morning Nov 15th 2023 at least between 10:20 and 10:40 GMT. At around 10:40 it started working again as normal.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/cc31496db8194c968abf92f601539b74

Rgds/John

0 Kudos
DawnBlanchardDoIT
New Contributor

We are having the same problem on 11/15/2023 but only in Chrome. https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/7048dee160524a2e9bdac5ea1dbba794

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DawnBlanchardDoIT @jkennedyie @TimJonker2 -- Thank you for reporting this. Our team also noticed a spike in error rates in our infrastructure this morning and took measures to alleviate this.

We believe the issue was resolved shortly after it began, but please let us know if you are still able to reproduce this issue.

Owen Evans
LarsArneson
New Contributor III

@OwenGeo  - It looks like I'm having the same white page issue as described in this thread. 

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/98f64a497c834ae18955d5d6b5994ff4

It works in my Brave browser, but not Chrome or Edge. It did work momentarily for myself and others when I republished, but only for a minute and then went back to the white page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos