Select to view content in your preferred language

Story Map- Want to show categorized maps with regard to credits and how to subcategorize

02-13-2024 12:48 PM
tmo
by
New Contributor III

Introduction

Hello,

I want to replicate a sister agency's story map page. 

I love their gis portal, it is user friendly and visually appealing. (Second View).

Zoomed out

tmo_1-1707856585894.png

Zoom in after clicking side panel 

tmo_2-1707856634995.png

Initially, I had intended to create an experience app with all my data, but it is not the best option for visually appealing/user friendly purposes for non-gis type users; we have a lot of data that would be displayed upfront- 18 special district categories.

Issues

Their outline appears differently. I am not seeing the option to create sub categories as my sister agency does here.

They have main categories for each district at the top of the page and then in the middle are related subcategories.

The option I only see is placing the categories in the middle of the page, I am unable to get the categories to the top of the page with subcategories in the middle as this agency has done.

tmo_0-1707855792495.png

Is this a custom design or am I not seeing the option to create sub categories?

Do I need to create a map for each category, how do I account for credit allotment for ArcGOL content publishing?

Post and Question Summary

1. I want to create sub categories so as to not have confusing overlaps of agencies with shared territory with the maps automatically open and easy to view for the end user. That would require 18 different maps to be published to Arc GIS Online.

2. Publishing 18 different maps and service credit issues- with regard to the previous section I want to publish 18 different web maps to house in my storymap as they have done similarly. It seems that this is a little bit too much. Will this require me to buy more service credits or is there something I am not aware of?

Thank you for taking time out of your day to review and assist with my post.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KatClifton
New Contributor III

@tmo , I believe what you are looking for regarding the "subcategories" is StoryMap Navigation.

Basically, enable Navigation for your StoryMap, and then use headings to define the navigation elements.

Add story navigation—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
tmo
by
New Contributor III

Thanks Kat, I have that enabled, but I am not seeing an option that allows me to create subcategories under my categories, I will continue to see if I can configure this section.

0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @tmo ,

In the story you shared, it looks like they are using a collection (the item type is actually mentioned in the URL). In a collection, you can add different ArcGIS items, including stories, so they appear as their own pages within the navigation. 

Here's some information on utilizing collections, but you can start making your own from your ArcGIS StoryMaps home page, using the Collections tab.

ArcGIS StoryMaps - Create your first collection 

ArcGIS StoryMaps - Change collection layout and navigation

Additionally, the creation of regular web maps shouldn't cost you credits, and won't cost credits to add those web maps to a story or collection. There are some credit usage costs for storing certain feature layers. For more information on what will cost credits, I'd recommend taking a look at this page:

ArcGIS Online - Understand credits 

Let me know if you have further questions on this configuration!

--Abby

tmo
by
New Contributor III

Abby, you are absolutely correct. I ended up giving tech support a call and they told me about the story map 

---> story app workflow. Thank you for the comment and additional info, I greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos