Story Map Navigation

Jump to solution
07-19-2021 04:22 PM
Marklar
New Contributor II

I was wondering if it is possible to change the navigation from horizontal to vertical in the New Story Maps builder? I have hovered over the nav bar and selected the cog, but the properties don't have any options for Nav bar format.

I was hoping for some sort of HTML or JS method to make this happen.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Marklar -- Ahh, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to the general experience of navigating through the story, but now I get that you are referring to the nav bar. Sorry about that!

There aren't any other layouts to choose from for the navbar at the moment. However, we recently released the ability to generate links to headings in a story. You can use this feature to manually add a table of contents in your story, which might be close to the vertical navigation you're looking for. For more details, see Add another dimension to your stories with heading links (esri.com).

We are considering other types of navigation options for the future. Could you share more information about why the horizontal nav bar doesn't meet your needs and how a vertical layout would be better suited to your story? That would help us understand what other types of experiences authors would like to provide for readers.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Marklar -- The primary navigation mode of storymaps is currently vertical. However, you can insert a slideshow block in your story if you want a horizontal navigation option. You could see if a story with only a slideshow block would meet your needs.

For more information about slideshow, see Slideshow: A new immersive block in ArcGIS StoryMaps (esri.com).

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Marklar
New Contributor II

@OwenGeo Unfortunately the Slideshow is not the look and feel that I am after, I am looking for a stacked vertical menu .. 

the menu currently is horizontal 

Marklar_0-1626745263482.png

but I need for it to be vertical

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Marklar -- Ahh, I misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to the general experience of navigating through the story, but now I get that you are referring to the nav bar. Sorry about that!

There aren't any other layouts to choose from for the navbar at the moment. However, we recently released the ability to generate links to headings in a story. You can use this feature to manually add a table of contents in your story, which might be close to the vertical navigation you're looking for. For more details, see Add another dimension to your stories with heading links (esri.com).

We are considering other types of navigation options for the future. Could you share more information about why the horizontal nav bar doesn't meet your needs and how a vertical layout would be better suited to your story? That would help us understand what other types of experiences authors would like to provide for readers.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Marklar
New Contributor II

@OwenGeo  that looks quite nice. I know there is the option to use the API's but the development investment is high if I go down that path. it would be nice if ESRI could provide a middle ground. that allows people to use a very simple template (story maps etc) or use HTML JS and JQuery to customise as they see fit. 

0 Kudos