Story Map Cover Image/Video is too dark

Jump to solution
10-21-2022 07:12 AM
tash
by
New Contributor

I actually have two questions, both regarding the story map cover: 

1:  Is there any way to change the font color?   Or the justification? There doesn't seem to be any such capabilities when customizing your own theme.   And white is pretty boring. 

2. The media, whether it's an image or video, is very dark compared to the original, especially when in full-screen mode.  Almost dirty looking.  I've switched through all the out-of-the-box themes, as well as my own to see if it makes a difference, but it doesn't.  Also tried brightening it up in Photoshop, but that just makes it look like trash.  Tried different monitors, browsers, nothing works. 

Any advice would be most appreciated. 

thanks!

Jen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Jen,

As a follow-up to your issue description above, it sounds like this may be occurring on your full page cover media and text. This is expected behavior with the full page option, as a mask is added over the image to make sure the overlayed title is legible. 

To combat this, try out the other cover options from the Design tab (minimal or side-by-side) to see if those provide a clearer image for you. You can also move the position of the title with the switch panel placement arrows above the title, though this will not change the text color. 

Best,

Abby

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi Jen,

1) You can change the font color when editing your theme under the Typography section. There's a circle you can select for the color option, next to each font choice for the title and headings, paragraph, and caption.

2) How are you adding your media- as individual images or videos, in an immersive layout, as a cover at the top of your story, through an embed, etc? I'm curious if this behavior is occurring with a certain way the media is getting added. I'd also recommend checking the file size, type, and resolution of the media to make sure it is meeting recommended sizing for performance. 

Best,

Abby

0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Jen,

As a follow-up to your issue description above, it sounds like this may be occurring on your full page cover media and text. This is expected behavior with the full page option, as a mask is added over the image to make sure the overlayed title is legible. 

To combat this, try out the other cover options from the Design tab (minimal or side-by-side) to see if those provide a clearer image for you. You can also move the position of the title with the switch panel placement arrows above the title, though this will not change the text color. 

Best,

Abby

0 Kudos