Some storymap links not visible

Jump to solution
02-18-2022 03:05 AM
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

In some of our storymaps, hyperlinked text is not visible as it is matching the link theme colour, despite the fact it should be black. The text is still there with the link, but doesn't show due to the text colour matching the background colour. For example, the text below should be black, but is defaulting to the same orange colour as the hyperlink background, making it non-visible unless the user highlights the text. If I edit the storymap and remove and re-add the link, it displays as expected. This is affecting a number of storymaps we have. Rather than having to go back through and check and fix every hyperlink, is there an easier way of remedying this?

Before fixing the link:
Link text 'hidden' as colour matches backgroundLink text 'hidden' as colour matches background

After fixing the link:

The link text shows after removing and re-adding the hyperlinkThe link text shows after removing and re-adding the hyperlink

The storymap theme link style is shown below (orange background, black text).

Theme link styleTheme link style

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DataOfficer -- We looked into this and have identified the source of the issue. We're working on a way to automatically fix any affected links and hope to add that to an upcoming release. Can you give us an idea of how many stories you have where you've observed this issue?

For now, an easier workaround appears to be making any edit anywhere in one of the text blocks with one of the mis-formatted links. For example, you can just click in one of the affected paragraphs, and add and then remove a space.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

7 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DataOfficer -- I'm wondering if the "visited link" color on your computer's browser is set to white. Do you see the same issue in all browsers? Do others also observe this when viewing the story on their own computer or mobile device?

Can you share a link to the story and its theme or recreate the issue in a test story you can share publicly so we can try to take a look? If not, please contact Esri Technical Support and they can help further troubleshoot this issue.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
DataOfficer

@OwenGeo Thank you for the quick reply. It is occurring on multiple browsers, and on mobile devices. 
I'll see if I can recreate it and if not, will contact technical support.

0 Kudos
DataOfficer

@OwenGeo you can find a public example of this issue here:
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/d0d3bfdf9a8c4c39a6d672f0a4c306b5#ref-n-l1CKAx

How do I share the theme?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks, I can observe the issue you describe in that story. We'll have to take some time to look into this. 

You can share the theme from its item page or your Content page in ArcGIS Online. If you could do that and post the item ID for the theme here, that would also be helpful.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
DataOfficer
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DataOfficer -- We looked into this and have identified the source of the issue. We're working on a way to automatically fix any affected links and hope to add that to an upcoming release. Can you give us an idea of how many stories you have where you've observed this issue?

For now, an easier workaround appears to be making any edit anywhere in one of the text blocks with one of the mis-formatted links. For example, you can just click in one of the affected paragraphs, and add and then remove a space.

Owen Evans
DataOfficer

Glad you have managed to identify the issue. It looks like 6 stories are currently affected, so I will apply your suggested workaround to resolve these in the short-term. 

Many thanks,
Rob

0 Kudos