Sidecar- Full Fit Photo Dimensions

08-09-2019 02:03 PM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Story Maps Team, 

Currently what are the dimensions that photos need to be to fully fit in a sidecar (main stage)? 

I know you're working on revising this for a later update, but it would be great to know for current products. 

Thanks! 

- Amanda Huber

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Amanda -- There isn't really an answer to this question since currently images are cropped to fill the entire sidecar media panel. The area of the image that's shown depends on your screen resolution and browser window size. 

If you are trying to create a story that will be viewed/presented on a specific monitor/screen you could take a screenshot of the media panel and determine its dimensions for that situation and then use those specs for your images.

Let me know if I misunderstood your question or if you need more info!

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Owen Evans‌, 

Thanks so much, that makes sense. One thing I noticed while testing on the same device (which led me to this question); when resizing an image to a smaller size, in theory the photo should be less cropped but instead the picture becomes pixelated/grainy (and spans approximately the same size as the original). Is this expected?

Do you know if the team plans to implement the option (similar to cascade) where you can choose to not crop the image?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Yep, that's expected. It's because a smaller image has to be enlarged even more to fill the frame, so with fewer pixels the photo is going to look more blurry.

Also yep, we are working on a "do not crop" option that should be available soon. 🙂

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Amanda,

Just circling back to this thread: In the August update, with a sidecar, you now have the ability to upload an image and keep it set to "fit" so you can see it in its entirety. 

Aravind