rotating pictures in story map

Jump to solution
05-01-2020 09:41 AM
AndreaSchuhmann
New Contributor

I have deleted the exif data and all other personal data on my photos taken in portrait setting, but regardless, when I add them to story map, they start out in the proper portrait display and then after about 15 seconds, rotate incorrectly to landscape. Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I apologize you are having this issue with incorrectly rotating photos. We have identified an issue in how photos are requested and sent to the app. This issue is being worked on by the back-end team and they hope to have it addressed in the next ArcGIS Online release in September.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Andrea -- We've heard a report of this from someone else, but haven't been able to reproduce it yet. Are you able to share the images you were using here? What browser and version are you using?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AndreaSchuhmann
New Contributor

I use: 

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 81.0.4044.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)
0 Kudos
StaceyStark1
New Contributor II

Andrea,

Did you find a solution to this. I am having the same issue.  I think I can fix it if I can go to a local photo editor, make sure it is not "auto-rotating"(uncheck if available) and then rotate, then save a new file.  But ... there should be a better way within the builder?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I apologize you are having this issue with incorrectly rotating photos. We have identified an issue in how photos are requested and sent to the app. This issue is being worked on by the back-end team and they hope to have it addressed in the next ArcGIS Online release in September.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

In the meantime, please see this thread for some tips on a workaround that has worked for others.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
StaceyStark1
New Contributor II

Thanks again, Owen. My solution was to use an image editor app called

'Irfanview' (free) that under options has a setting to uncheck so the image

is NOT auto-rotated according to EXIF data. Then I can view the image in

its native orientation, rotate, and re-save. Hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos