Publicly shared story map requesting sign-in

Jump to solution
10-27-2021 09:29 AM
DavidMcGowan
New Contributor II

Hi there, strange problem encountered. I have a publicly shared StoryMap that was working fine last week. Now, whenever you view it, it prompts you to sign in. The weird part is that it doesn't matter whether you click 'OK' or 'Cancel' -- you can then proceed as if everything is normal and view the story. But I don't want people to be disuaded or discouraged by this inelegant road block.

Does anyone have a solution?

Link to the story: https://arcg.is/vz4qf

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am able to view the entire StoryMap when logged into ArcGIS Online. Additionally, I can view the layers in other maps.

When not logged in, clicking Cancel still allows the map to load, and I can scroll through the entire story. Scrolling back up to the interactive maps prompts me for sign-on again, so it's something related to the maps, not the story.

Looking at the maps individually, we find this layer referenced in your Bullock's Ledge Copy map:

https://kendall.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=3cedfc19d7b941d89ee15b0e2f454070

These kinds of problems usually end up being either A: a locator that isn't share publicly, or B: a Developer basemap layer. If you either remove or update that hillshade layer to point at a non-developer basemap source, the problem will go away.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
FourCornersMapping
New Contributor III

Hey David,

That happens when there is subscriber-only content or content that is not able to be shared publicly in the Story. So you see the flash when you are signed in but can click out of it. But when you sign out, and try to load, you get the "Hmmm...there seems to be an issue" screen. Check that your features and web maps used in the story don't contain subscriber-only content or content that is not shared publicly or that you don't own (and is not shared publicly). Hope that helps! 

0 Kudos
DavidMcGowan
New Contributor II

Hi @FourCornersMapping,

I had my friend try the map, and they have no esri credentials whatsoever (ie. were not logged in.) They were able to view the StoryMap after clicking 'Cancel.' 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am able to view the entire StoryMap when logged into ArcGIS Online. Additionally, I can view the layers in other maps.

When not logged in, clicking Cancel still allows the map to load, and I can scroll through the entire story. Scrolling back up to the interactive maps prompts me for sign-on again, so it's something related to the maps, not the story.

Looking at the maps individually, we find this layer referenced in your Bullock's Ledge Copy map:

https://kendall.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=3cedfc19d7b941d89ee15b0e2f454070

These kinds of problems usually end up being either A: a locator that isn't share publicly, or B: a Developer basemap layer. If you either remove or update that hillshade layer to point at a non-developer basemap source, the problem will go away.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DavidMcGowan
New Contributor II

Thank you @jcarlson! I switched to a baseman that achieves the same desired effect and got rid of the hillside layer. Works great now. Many thanks!