Pop-ups cutoff at top

Jump to solution
04-01-2021 11:22 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It has been brought up during our review process that pop-ups are being cutoff at the top when they're opened near the top of the viewing window. This seems to happen only when they're on there own and not in the media panel of a sidecar. I try scrolling to see the whole pop-up but that does not work.

I'm viewing this on my laptop screen so I'm not sure if this is evident on a larger screen like a monitor. I've attached a video of what we're seeing. You'll notice in the video the first map I try does not expand when I click to expand the window and I think this has been addressed in a separate post.

Thanks!

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Anonymous User -- We looked into this and this is expected behavior of pop-ups in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript.

A pop-up is always anchored at the location where the map is clicked. It tries to show above the feature but will adjust in a different direction (keeping the clicked anchor point) if there is not enough space, if possible. Those pop-ups are quite large, and you'll notice that in each case there's actually no other place to position the pop-up where it will fit on-screen.

The reader can pan the map to see the full pop-up. If feasible, you could consider trimming down the number of attributes that are displayed if there are only a few essential ones that are applicable to the story.

We've been considering offering an option that would let you choose docked or anchored pop-ups for a map. Would that be something you'd consider helpful in this case?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Anonymous User -- We looked into this and this is expected behavior of pop-ups in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript.

A pop-up is always anchored at the location where the map is clicked. It tries to show above the feature but will adjust in a different direction (keeping the clicked anchor point) if there is not enough space, if possible. Those pop-ups are quite large, and you'll notice that in each case there's actually no other place to position the pop-up where it will fit on-screen.

The reader can pan the map to see the full pop-up. If feasible, you could consider trimming down the number of attributes that are displayed if there are only a few essential ones that are applicable to the story.

We've been considering offering an option that would let you choose docked or anchored pop-ups for a map. Would that be something you'd consider helpful in this case?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I see what you mean about the size of the pop-up in relation to the window size. Thank you for this clarification.

A docked or anchored pop-up would be very helpful then for larger pop-ups. It would also help with our more detailed maps where we don't want pop-ups to cover up the map.

0 Kudos