new story map url for specific slide

Jump to solution
08-21-2019 08:11 AM
BradGeorgic
New Contributor III

Is there a way to create a URL for a specific section of a new format Story Map?  Before you could add &section=4 to the map URL and it would go directly to the #4 slide.  VERY useful for linking story maps, social media posts, etc

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Brad -- We're planning to do this in a future release, but don't have a date or other details to share at this time.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

7 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Brad -- We're planning to do this in a future release, but don't have a date or other details to share at this time.

Owen Evans
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Owen, awesome, thanks. Classic url parameters and adding more even would be my top enhancement. 

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Brad -- Thanks for your feedback. When you get a chance, could you please provide some more information about what else you'd like to be able to do via URL parameters in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps?

Owen Evans
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anything Share widget can do in WAB - zoom to an extent or a query of a feature by attribute and show its popup, like query and zoom to a parcel or address point and show its popup.

ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @OwenGeo , are URL parameters available yet? I'm unable to find documentation. My use case is that I'm trying to replicate the classic series template with map actions. If I can at least navigate to a text element in the sidecar with a URL parameter, that would be great. If I could activate a map action (which turns on/off specific layers) that would be amazing. Just navigating to the top of the sidecar widget wouldn't be helpful because that's all there is in the storymap so the url parameter didn't help make navigating easier. I could break the 50 map actions into separate sidecars, but that would be way too much scrolling for users not navigating to the site via parameters and looks pretty bad with so many duplicates of the same webmap. At least with the classic map series, they cover each other up when you flip between tabs.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ChelseaRozek -- Yes, you can link to any heading or subheading in your story using the process outlined in How to create a link to somewhere else in your story

Map actions are also available if you want to toggle layer visibility. You can learn more about them here: Supercharge your stories with map actions

Can you share more about how you are using 50 map actions in the same story or share a link to your story so far or the classic story you are trying to replicate? 50 map actions seems like a lot for a single story, so maybe if we know a little more we can recommend another way to think about organizing things?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing that post! In case it helps someone else, I was also able to stack it with hiding the cover:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/[STORY ID HERE]?cover=false&header=false#[HEADING REF ID HERE] 

I'll send you a message about my project so I don't clutter up this thread.

0 Kudos