Select to view content in your preferred language

Migration path from Classic StoryMaps

03-16-2021 01:11 PM
SteveBeste
Emerging Contributor

I see that eventually I will have to migrate my Classic StoryMaps story to the new ArcGis StoryMaps. By then I suppose that Esri will have implemented all the old features I use into the new product. Come the day, I'll check, but I expect no problems. What DOES worry me is the URL.

At this point, I have thousands of people who have bookmarked the URL of my story. Those bookmarks are the most valuable things I have. The story itself I could always recreate if necessary. But if the URL changes, then years of my work publicizing the site and getting people to link to it will be lost. So:

-->Will Esri provide a migration path that will preserve the URL of my story? Please, please yes.

-Steve Beste

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JonathanLevy_Harbors
Emerging Contributor
0 Kudos
SteveBeste
Emerging Contributor

I read the Admin Tools material on the Geojobe website and watched their video under the link "Update Web map Service URLs and Source URLs". It sounds like a great tool for migrating material from one server to another. But I saw nothing that suggested that it would redirect browser queries from an old URL to a new one. In any case, I'm using Esri's server, not my own, so I have no control over the URL for my Story Map, neither the current URL nor the future one. 

Net: I still have the original problem.

0 Kudos
EllenNodwell_IntegraShare
Frequent Contributor

Hi Steve -

I have looked again at the issues you face.  As an aside, I think that potentially, the ArcGIS Online Assistant link that I sent may have been an earlier iteration of Geojobe's applications that do the same thing - not sure.  It does still have the function of setting URLs to another URL.  I am looking at it right now.

StoryMaps seem to present a different situation.

One thing is that StoryMaps start off in a different root than the rest of our AGOL content.  It appears that if we try to move the StoryMaps we make off that root, to say our own site's root on AGOL - things break. 

I can't look at a Portal right now to determine if StoryMaps in Portal come from the internal source our how that looks since it is inside a firewall vs. being outside the firewall.  I suspect that all of these are situated in the storymaps folder up there - but, I'm not looking at the information architecture paths on this except through the browser's developer tools.

Of course when we are building dynamic content, the user-experience full life-cycle is often time not thought about in our fast-paced development scenarios - we find that often people just start developing maps and apps without any sort of overall design plan or thought about forward life-cycle of maintaining over a long period of time. It seems that the focus is more about quick delivery of the application and what the needs are for it - and sometimes the "hurry up" factor overrides all other aspects.

Migration paths often seem to be afterthoughts.  At this point in my decades long career, I could write an entire book about GIS migrations and management of change!  Yet here we are and we just do what it takes to keep our users' needs fulfilled, if we can.

A suggestion of on we might, for the future, is to put up in ArcGIS Ideas a request to make maintaining these StoryMaps more sustainable, by enabling content publishers/authors to utilize a custom URL (or rename a URL), as you would a web page or post as we are able to do with web content in other platforms.

I'm not the expert on this - but, through maintaining several websites that use different platforms, most have this capability.

But, one simple idea might be to request the ability to customize our URLs so that they make more sense to our end users and we can manage moving to the newest versions with less headaches and impact to them, so that they can continue receiving good uninterrupted service from their apps.  Any change we can reduce is of benefit to them in doing their daily work, which often does not involve managing IT stuff.

0 Kudos
SteveBeste
Emerging Contributor

Ellen,

I do appreciate your interest in the problem. And from your description, you've seen it before. Yes, I think we developers (I speak as one) are always more interested in the shiny new thing than in supporting the legacy users. That old stuff is such a drag!

To your specific suggestion that Esri give StoryMap authors a way to customize the URL of their story: I don't think that will solve the problem. At the end of the day, users will bookmark what they see, and that will be Esri's storymap URL, not some bit.ly URL or equivalent that the users went through on the way to the storymap. Heck, I've already created that kind of thing with my redirect site NoVaDogParks.com. That's what I publicize. But that's not what my users bookmark. They bookmark what they see, Esri's URL for the storymap: https://sbeste.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=90abfd6d1ff741c09ec446a559362b34

In the end, I think the only fix is to persuade Esri to provide redirects from that kind of URL to the URL they assign to the migrated story. Given the amount of customer value that they're about to destroy, I'd think that their management would support this even if the developers don't want to be bothered.

0 Kudos