Maximum Number of Files permitted within a Storymap Shortlist Resource

Jump to solution
10-03-2020 05:55 AM
StephenCharnock
New Contributor II

I have just tried to add another image within the Shortlist Builder but when uploading the image the upload box becomes unresponsive.  Using the google developer tools it appears that when the file is uploaded an error occurs as below:

1. error: {code: 400, messageCode: "CONT_00945", message: "Exceeded total number of files for this resource",…}
    1. code: 400
    2. details: []
    3. message: "Exceeded total number of files for this resource"
    4. messageCode: "CONT_00945"

Would I be right in assuming from the message that there is a maximum number of files/images that can be associated with any particular Storymap Application.  If so what is this limit?  Is the limit the same on a Personal Use Account as it is for a Public Account.  Either way, although I am sure this is not a common occurrence, having spent 6 months putting together this application, it is a bit frustrating to not have received any prior notification that I was approaching a file limit.  If I had know beforehand I would either have constructed that app differently or not bothered at all.

Is there anyway to overcome this restriction.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Stephen -- I'm sorry you've run into this problem after putting work into your Shortlist story.

ArcGIS Online recently added a limit of 5000 file resources for any one item. This limit affects story maps as well as every other type of ArcGIS item. This limit is to prevent access issues and performance problems that arise when querying items with very large numbers of file resources. An extremely small number of items have this many attachments, and unfortunately it looks like yours is one of them.

If you have a Flickr account, you can look at hosting your images there and the using the IMPORT option when adding a photo. Any images referenced from Flickr don't count toward the file resource limit.

That being said, Shortlist was designed and built to showcase a few 100 photos max, not 1000s, so you're somewhat outside the design parameters with numbers as high as you are going. It's possible you'll run into performance issues with referencing photos from Flickr even if you could surpass the 5000 image limit for uploads. 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Stephen -- I'm sorry you've run into this problem after putting work into your Shortlist story.

ArcGIS Online recently added a limit of 5000 file resources for any one item. This limit affects story maps as well as every other type of ArcGIS item. This limit is to prevent access issues and performance problems that arise when querying items with very large numbers of file resources. An extremely small number of items have this many attachments, and unfortunately it looks like yours is one of them.

If you have a Flickr account, you can look at hosting your images there and the using the IMPORT option when adding a photo. Any images referenced from Flickr don't count toward the file resource limit.

That being said, Shortlist was designed and built to showcase a few 100 photos max, not 1000s, so you're somewhat outside the design parameters with numbers as high as you are going. It's possible you'll run into performance issues with referencing photos from Flickr even if you could surpass the 5000 image limit for uploads. 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
StephenCharnock
New Contributor II

Owen

Thanks for your response. I might try using Flickr although the work involved in re-linking the files is considerable. One thing that puzzles me however is that in my shortlist presently I have 9 tabs and counting up the individual entries across all the tabs this comes to approx. 1083 entries. Somewhat smaller than the 5000 file limit or are there other files that need to be counted. Also in order to see all the entries when viewing the application rather than editing it, all the entries have a holding image attached until I replace it when editing with one more appropriate. The problem arises when I try and replace the holding image with a more appropriate one. When this happens is the holding image deleted from the file resources used or does it still count.

Thanks

Stephen

0 Kudos