Layers from KMZ appear in Map Viewer, but not in Storymaps Tour

Jump to solution
11-05-2020 10:37 AM
LisaGeiger
New Contributor

I've created a georeferenced image overlay in Google Earth, saved it as a KMZ, and uploaded to my ArcGIS account. When imported into Map Viewer, the overlay looks good: https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/dce38dd3af6f4d6c86ec8d6eda2cd2a0/data 

However, when I try to used this map as a Basemap for a Storymaps Guided Tour, the layer holding the KML data doesn't appear: Cemetery (Draft Cemetery-Focus) - ArcGIS StoryMaps 

I've gotten KMZ overlays to display in other Storymap Basemaps using this same method, and I'm confused why its not working with this Map.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@LisaGeiger -- This issue was addressed in the ArcGIS Online release last week. I looks like the KML layer is appearing in your story as expected now. Please let me know if you see any other issues.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lisa - I can reproduce the issue you're seeing, but I'm not immediately sure of the cause, so we'll need to look into this. In the meantime, can you publish your KMZ as a feature service? I believe that should work as a workaround.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah, I've got some more information about the issue...

I see that the KML layer does not show up if your layer added to a map in Map Viewer beta (MVB). MVB is built using the 4.x version of the ArcGIS JavaScript API (JSAPI), which is what ArcGIS StoryMaps is built on. Since the layer shows up in the classic map viewer (which is built on the 3.x version of the JSAPI), this appears to be an issue in the 4.x JSAPI.

I'll report this issue to that team so they can take a look.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I've received word that this issue should be fixed in the next ArcGIS Online update in early December.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@LisaGeiger -- This issue was addressed in the ArcGIS Online release last week. I looks like the KML layer is appearing in your story as expected now. Please let me know if you see any other issues.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
LisaGeiger
New Contributor

Thank you for all this info, Owen. I can now successfully load a single KML as a file to my ArcGIS Content, and open it via Map Viewer, then save that map for use within a StoryMaps feature.

However, I cannot load multiple KML files to use, for example as multiple layers, because Map Viewer still technically limits file inputs to only Shapefiles, GeoJSON, GPX, and TXTs (although I don't know why - obviously it can visualize KMLs as well).  Because the KML file size limit is 10MB, I can't load the KML I need to use (it is closer to 40MB). I also cannot break the KML data into multiple KMLs displayed on a map, because of only being able to open the KMLs individually by navigating via the ArcGIS Content list.

Is there any way to add multiple KMLs to a map or to use a KML over 10MB?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @LisaGeiger --  Sorry, I'm not sure about that one -- I think that's a better question for the ArcGIS Online board. Please try posting that question there and I'm sure someone would be able to help.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
BethanyLamb
New Contributor II

Hi Owen,

I know this isn't my thread, but I found it after encountering a similar issue today. I have been trying to get the KML files to display in the map with the docked sidecar inside the storymap, but it's not working. I can see the files in both the classic and Beta map viewers, but when I add that map to the storymap it doesn't show.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@BethanyLamb -- Sorry to hear that you're having an issue with some KML files. If you can post share a link to the map here we can take a look. If you're not able to share the map publicly, then I'd recommend that you please contact Esri Support and they can help you troubleshoot.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
BethanyLamb
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen. Yes, I can share the map as it's a part of a public storymap. Here's the link to one of the maps, which displays the KML (I have 3 that are built the same way):

https://arcg.is/1iHLuS

And the storymap where the map should be displaying is under the "Concept Alternatives" header, the second, third, and fourth "slides" titled 'Concept A', etc.:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/45c417fe94e94eb68fd05d47a59832a5

0 Kudos