Layers from KMZ appear in Map Viewer, but not in Storymaps Tour

4 weeks ago
Highlighted
New Contributor

I've created a georeferenced image overlay in Google Earth, saved it as a KMZ, and uploaded to my ArcGIS account. When imported into Map Viewer, the overlay looks good: https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/dce38dd3af6f4d6c86ec8d6eda2cd2a0/data 

However, when I try to used this map as a Basemap for a Storymaps Guided Tour, the layer holding the KML data doesn't appear: Cemetery (Draft Cemetery-Focus) - ArcGIS StoryMaps 

I've gotten KMZ overlays to display in other Storymap Basemaps using this same method, and I'm confused why its not working with this Map.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Lisa - I can reproduce the issue you're seeing, but I'm not immediately sure of the cause, so we'll need to look into this. In the meantime, can you publish your KMZ as a feature service? I believe that should work as a workaround.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ah, I've got some more information about the issue...

I see that the KML layer does not show up if your layer added to a map in Map Viewer beta (MVB). MVB is built using the 4.x version of the ArcGIS JavaScript API (JSAPI), which is what ArcGIS StoryMaps is built on. Since the layer shows up in the classic map viewer (which is built on the 3.x version of the JSAPI), this appears to be an issue in the 4.x JSAPI.

I'll report this issue to that team so they can take a look.

Owen Evans
Highlighted

I've received word that this issue should be fixed in the next ArcGIS Online update in early December.

Owen Evans