Is there any way to use your own archival map with ArcGIS?

Jump to solution
11-06-2020 11:58 AM
OnaBantjes-Rafols
New Contributor

I'm new to using ArcGIS, and I am in the process of creating a StoryMap. However, when trying to add a Map Tour, I realized that I could only use the basemaps created by others. I have an archival map that I have permission to use, and I would love to create some kind of Map Tour using that, however it's starting to seem like that's not possible to do with ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello @OnaBantjes-Rafols -- Yes, that is possible, but I'm not sure of the specific steps. This is more of a question for the ArcGIS Online community.

Once you get your JPG images georeferenced and added to a web map, you'll be able to use that web map in a story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ona Bantjes-Rafols‌ -- You can use a web map from your content—or one that you have access to through your organization—as a map tour basemap. Just click "Browse more maps" in the basemap picker and select the web map that contains your basemap.

Note that the web map basemap must be in web mercator projection.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OnaBantjes-Rafols
New Contributor

I had found the "Browse more maps" button, yes. I have a scan of an archival map in my files (on my computer, as a JPG), and wanted to know whether there was any way to use that as a basemap with the options on StoryMap. Based on your response, I am assuming the answer is no?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello @OnaBantjes-Rafols -- Yes, that is possible, but I'm not sure of the specific steps. This is more of a question for the ArcGIS Online community.

Once you get your JPG images georeferenced and added to a web map, you'll be able to use that web map in a story.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OnaBantjes-Rafols
New Contributor

I'll try there, thank you!

0 Kudos