Is it possible to collaborate on a NEW story map with others in my organization?

Jump to solution
01-23-2020 08:16 AM
SharonJanzen
New Contributor III

I am working with a researcher who will have an assistant that will need to be able to edit a story map authored by the researcher herself. It doesn't appear the new story maps can be shared with a group that has editing capabilities...true?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Sharon and John -- I looked into this, and this is currently the expected behavior. Granting other org members with update access via a group provides the other members the ability to make edits to the story, but not the ability to publish/share that story.

This is not a limitation with story maps, all ArcGIS items behave this way when shared to a group with update access. The sharing on an item can only be changed by the item owner (or org admins).

We plan to message this better in the ArcGIS StoryMaps builder a future release.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Sharon -- At this time, you can't do that from within the builder, as you've noted, but you can share a story to a group that has update capabilities in ArcGIS Online (for example on your Content page, or the group page) and it will work. You just have to manage the process manually.

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
SharonJanzen
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

While I am able to share to a group with update capabilities, members of that group are still not able to configure the story map...that's really what I'm after. I've added this to the ideas page. Hopefully it will get addressed with the next set of wonderful updates y'all come up with!

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Sharon -- That's not the expected result. Can you provide some more detail about the specific steps you're going through to do this? Where does the process fail?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hi Owen

I have come across this as well

Create group with update capability

Invite other member (creator/ publisher to group)

Owner creates a new story map and manually shares to group with update capability

Other member signs in to ArcGIS Online and opens story map in the group.

Clicks configure makes a change and then Publish

This error shows up.

I couldn't find anything in the network console that shows why we are getting this error.

However when you refresh the  storymap  the changes appear to have been made.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for the detail, John. We'll look into this.

Sharon, is this the same issue you were seeing?

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Sharon and John -- I looked into this, and this is currently the expected behavior. Granting other org members with update access via a group provides the other members the ability to make edits to the story, but not the ability to publish/share that story.

This is not a limitation with story maps, all ArcGIS items behave this way when shared to a group with update access. The sharing on an item can only be changed by the item owner (or org admins).

We plan to message this better in the ArcGIS StoryMaps builder a future release.

Owen Evans