Hyperlink in New Story Maps Title/subtitle

Jump to solution
10-01-2019 09:11 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I've been asked to create a digital version of a published book our Department recently released. We would like to have a hyperlink to be able to download the published .pdf version of the book. Will the ability to add a hyperlink in the subtitle be included in the future release?

Thanks,

Kathy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Kathy -- I don't think that we'd add that capability since it's not a best practice for web page design to have links in the page title, subtitle, or headings since this can negatively affect accessibility and SEO ranking (see discussion on this here) . I'd recommend perhaps using the minimal cover layout (rather than the side-by-side or full page options) and adding a button or body text hyperlink to the top part of your story so the download link would be obvious.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Kathy -- I don't think that we'd add that capability since it's not a best practice for web page design to have links in the page title, subtitle, or headings since this can negatively affect accessibility and SEO ranking (see discussion on this here) . I'd recommend perhaps using the minimal cover layout (rather than the side-by-side or full page options) and adding a button or body text hyperlink to the top part of your story so the download link would be obvious.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Owen Evans,

That is good to know on the best practice for web design. I wasn't thinking about that in relation to the subtitles but it does make sense. Because of our cover photo the minimal design option really doesn't work but I think we will do as you suggest and just add paragraph text/button below the title slide for the .pdf download.

Thanks for your time!,
Kathy