How to get images from a Survey 123 question visable on my map in the Story Map?

04-13-2020 02:56 PM
JessicaRutherford
New Contributor III

Hello

I am looking for assistance in configuring the pop-up of images which are part of my Survey 123 that I have embedded into my Story Map. Right now the images that are part of my survey are not showing up or are very small when I embed the map and survey to my Story Map. 

What I am hoping to achieve is to have the images appear in a post-it size image when you click on the location (point symbol) on my embedded map with the Story Maps platform. I have seen this done in other examples of a Story Map, but have no idea of what to do. I have had a search for this answer but they seem very confusing and complicated.  I am hoping someone could direct me in this. 

Thanks you 

Jess

11 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jessica -- Do you have a screenshot of an example of what you are looking to do? From your description above, it seems you're looking to show the images in a web map pop-up and then add that web map to a story map.

For help with configuring Survey123 images in a web map, I think someone in the Survey123 for ArcGIS space would be better equipped to help with that.

Once you get that map configured how you want, you can just add it to your story by clicking the green  , selecting Map, then finding your map under My maps.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
JessicaRutherford
New Contributor III

Hi Owen

Yes I guess this is more of a #Survey123 question, as that is exactly what I am trying to do. My images have been collected via a survey and I want them to be visible (without all the heading extra) when you click on the point data with the embedded map in my Story Map. Should I repost this question to the Survey 123 forum?

Thanks 

Jess

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jessica,

Are you asking about displaying the images collected via Survey123 (i.e., attachments) in the web map?

0 Kudos
JessicaRutherford
New Contributor III

Hi James 

Yes that is kinda what I am trying to do. I have created a survey with questions that allow for photos and I then have open this survey up in my web-maps, and then Embedded it into my Story Map, but the picture are very small and have the survey question title on them. All I want to show is the Image and the responses to my question, when you click on the point on the map in my story map.  

I saw this is several story maps - for example is this story map by esri... ArcGIS StoryMaps 

Thanks 
Jess

#Survey123

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Jessica,

This isn't really a Survey123 question - Survey123 is simply concerned with collecting the data.

With regard to showing the attachment in the pop-up, please refer to:

Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2019/03/22/show-attachments-in-po... 

0 Kudos
JessicaRutherford
New Contributor III

Hello James

If this is not a Survey 123 question then how can I get help with this?

I appreciate the document sent, however I have tried to go through that document and video step by step, and I managed to have my photos bigger. However, I guess what I am hoping that that this will automatically be done when people add to my Embedded Survey in my Story Map.  I am probably missing something here, but I do not see how I can do this.

I would like any images add to the survey to look like the following image when clicking on a point on the web in my Story Map, and hoping this will be the case for when others add to my survey. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Jess

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Jessica,

A question regarding the web map is probably best raised in ArcGIS Online‌.  Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a way to automatically show the attachments in a pop-up outside of the 'Attachments' section mentioned in the first link of my previous post.

0 Kudos
JeremyDavies
New Contributor III

This storymap example shows the results from a Survey123 survey, and the attached photos are nicely displayed in the popup for each data point. Click on the embedded "Explore our oceans map" in that link to see what I'm talking about. The 123survey form itself is located directly below the webmap in the storymap, and if you happen to submit a new entry, the entry with your photo shows up on the map instantly. If that is what you are trying to do, Jessica, then I'm with you-- I want to do the same thing! It seems like a simple thing, but all I can do in the popups from my survey123 layer is show the links to any attached photos, not the photos themselves. If you or anyone else reading this have found a solution, please let me know.

Thanks!

JeremyDavies
New Contributor III

I just figured out that the NEW map viewer allows you to display photos uploaded via Survey123 directly in popups, so problem solved! Now I just need figure out the code needed to exclude the filename of the images, as that's a bit of a distraction. But that's a different topic...

0 Kudos