Google Analytics setting disappear when editing a StoryMaps?

Jump to solution
09-23-2022 07:18 AM
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

Anyone else finding that their Google Analytics settings disappear when they edit a story?

I am finding Google Analytics disabled under Story settings when I edit an existing StoryMap, for which I am sure I had Google Analytics enabled. If I re-enable it and paste it my Tracking ID, and Publish the story, then I do see the googletagmanager in the source, and tracking information appears in Google Analytics as expected.

If I edit the story again, then the googletagmanager disappears from the source, and Google Analytics is once again disabled in the Story settings.

This issue is occurring with multiple StoryMaps. I haven't found one yet, where editing has not caused the Google Analytics setting to disappear.

I can also reproduce the issue by creating a brand new StoryMap, enabling Google Analytics, publishing it, and then editing it, which causes the Google Analytics settings to disappear. This happens regardless of the Sharing settings on the story. (For example, see Editing Breaks Google Analytics Settings, which currently has Google Analytics enabled; however, whenever I edit it, those settings disappear.)

If I don't edit a StoryMap, for which I know Google Analytics is enabled, then the tracking appears to be working as expected. It seems it is the action of Editing the story that breaks things.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @PeterKnoop -- Thanks for reporting this. This is a known bug we are working to address in an upcoming release.

However, please note the issue isn't that the analytics configuration information has been removed. The issue is that the saved information is not displayed in the Story settings panel the first time it is opened.

If you cancel/close the Story settings panel and open it again you'll see the information you expect to see. If you haven't opened and saved the settings and re-publish the story the tracking information will still be there.

I apologize for the confusion caused by this issue.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The fix for this bug has been deployed. Please let us know if you continue to observe this issue.

Owen Evans

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @PeterKnoop -- Thanks for reporting this. This is a known bug we are working to address in an upcoming release.

However, please note the issue isn't that the analytics configuration information has been removed. The issue is that the saved information is not displayed in the Story settings panel the first time it is opened.

If you cancel/close the Story settings panel and open it again you'll see the information you expect to see. If you haven't opened and saved the settings and re-publish the story the tracking information will still be there.

I apologize for the confusion caused by this issue.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

@OwenGeo glad to hear you're already on it 🙂

Sounds like the scenario to avoid -- as you will loose your Google Analytics settings -- is opening Story settings, changing anything (doesn't have to be the Google Analytics settings), and then saving the settings and publishing the story. No matter what setting you change, the Google Analytics settings are lost.

Instead, for now, when editing a StoryMap, and first opening Story settings, one should immediately Cancel or Close Story settings, and then open it again to safely make any changes.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

This bug will be addressed in our update coming the evening of Oct 5.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The fix for this bug has been deployed. Please let us know if you continue to observe this issue.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Rodrigo_DaSilva
New Contributor III

Hi @OwenGeo and @PeterKnoop .
I'm getting the same error In my ArcGIS Enterprise 10.91 StoryMaps. Can you point me to the Correction Patch for this version of ArcGIS Enterprise?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Rodrigo_DaSilva -- I'm not able to reproduce the issue described above on a 10.9.1 Enterprise portal. I'd recommend that you please contact Esri Support so they can help you validate the issue that you are encountering on your organization's portal.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos