Expanded images in sidecar fuzzy

Jump to solution
11-19-2020 08:18 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Images in my sidecar are incredibly fuzzy/blurry. Is there a optimal workflow or image requirement when placing images in story maps? I have attached a video to show what I am seeing. The particular story map is my testing one so I cannot share it publicly, however, I can share it with a private group for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks!

25 Replies
cole_KTB
New Contributor III

Hi Katherine, 

I am having the exact same issue in my side car. Images are blurry until clicked to expand and then they appear fine. Did you find any solutions? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@cole_KTB -- We fixed an issue that sounds like the one you're reporting a while back. Do you also see this issue after clearing your browser cache or do you also see this issue when you visit your story in a different browser or on a different computer?

If so, please share a link to your story here so we can take a look. Make sure the story is shared publicly, too. If you can't share your story publicly, please contact Esri Support and they will be able to help you.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
cole_KTB
New Contributor III

Hi Owen, 

Thanks for the response. Here is the link to my story map https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/7d51e96258144a9e9b7fba0ca604767c , go to section "Cleanups" on the left hand side of sidecar the plots appear blurry until expanded on my browser and the map takes a very long to load. (I have tried several different image sizes & resolutions too) On my smart phone I just checked and they do not appear blurry, but I need them to work for desktop. I do not have access to another computer until later today to check, but I did clear my history/cache and that did not help. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@cole_KTB -- Thanks for sharing your story link. The blurriness around the text in your story's images is caused by the fact that your original images are very low resolution. Looking at them they are only about 700px wide. I can see that the originals do not even have crisp text. When low-res images are resized to be even smaller, additional noise can be introduced. This may not make much of a difference in a photograph, but for a screenshot of a chart with small text there can be noticeable blurriness, especially around the small curved edges of text characters.

I'd recommend re-creating and re-uploading your chart images so they are at least 1200px wide (2000px or more would be best). For images with small text, like the images of charts in your story, be sure the images are at least 120 dpi.

For more information, see these best practices for image sizing in our FAQ: Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
cole_KTB
New Contributor III

Was a work around or fix to this problem found yet? I have images in the text side of my side car (plots) and they appear blurry until they are opened/expanded, then they are fine after that point. 

0 Kudos
katherine_evans
New Contributor III

My apologies, I just now saw your message. No I was unable to fix it.

0 Kudos