Editing Cover title and description

Jump to solution
05-24-2022 11:18 AM
Maricadg
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm working on my first story map, and I have two problems I couldn't solve by myself.
The first issue regards the title and its description in the StoryMap cover. 

I have a full picture and a few words as a title. Underneath the title, I have a short description.
I would like to be able to break this description in two different lines, but I cannot.
I'm attaching a picture of my cover.
I would like "from the Coast ... etc" to go on a second line.

Is it possible to do this?
Thanks!

{I'm posting my second question in another thread}

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

It's by design that there is no way to force a line break in the title or subtitle fields. This is because a story is responsive, which means it is one set of content designed to look good on any screen size.

If a line break is added to a title, it might look like you want it to on your own laptop, but if someone else views your story on a narrower laptop screen, or a really wide desktop monitor, or a tablet in portrait orientation, or a phone the line break that you inserted would most likely produce unwanted, unknown, and/or unexpected results for most of those readers. For this reason, it's best to allow the content to flow differently based on the screen size rather than force line breaks on certain screen sizes that can produce issues on others.

The best way to suggest product enhancements is to add your suggestion as an idea on the StoryMaps community ideas board. That way other community members can upvote your suggestion and add their own use cases and information about how the feature would be valuable to them.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
StephanieOliver
Esri Contributor

Hello! I played around and tested it and as far as I can tell there is no way to force that onto a second line within the story maps builder. If you are comfortable with Python you can also use the developer tools with ArcGIS StoryMaps and try to get that forced line break. 

Senior Instructor | CTT+
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

It's by design that there is no way to force a line break in the title or subtitle fields. This is because a story is responsive, which means it is one set of content designed to look good on any screen size.

If a line break is added to a title, it might look like you want it to on your own laptop, but if someone else views your story on a narrower laptop screen, or a really wide desktop monitor, or a tablet in portrait orientation, or a phone the line break that you inserted would most likely produce unwanted, unknown, and/or unexpected results for most of those readers. For this reason, it's best to allow the content to flow differently based on the screen size rather than force line breaks on certain screen sizes that can produce issues on others.

The best way to suggest product enhancements is to add your suggestion as an idea on the StoryMaps community ideas board. That way other community members can upvote your suggestion and add their own use cases and information about how the feature would be valuable to them.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
Maricadg
New Contributor II

Thanks! I understand! It makes sense.

0 Kudos