Deleted Old Storymap. Oh well... What About the Old URL?

Jump to solution
05-15-2023 08:49 AM
Labels (1)
AshAustin
New Contributor

So, I already know how to fix my deleted StoryMaps situation. I am wondering if Esri has updated anything so that I can use the old StoryMaps URL to redirect our readers to the new StoryMaps. I know in 2017 there was a post made and the general consensus was that there was NOT a way. However, I am hoping Esri updated this to some capacity since the old URL has been really being pushed in some emails. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AshAustin - Unfortunately, automatically redirecting a classic story to a new story is not something that is technical feasible.

Typically, when any web resource is shared publicly in a deliberate/widespread way, such as a QR code or an email marketing campaign, it is a best practice to use a redirect-able link so that if the resource ever changes, the links that have been shared can be easily repointed to a new location.

One recommendation would be to edit the original story map with an obvious note to communicate that version has been retired and provide a link to the new story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

1 Reply
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AshAustin - Unfortunately, automatically redirecting a classic story to a new story is not something that is technical feasible.

Typically, when any web resource is shared publicly in a deliberate/widespread way, such as a QR code or an email marketing campaign, it is a best practice to use a redirect-able link so that if the resource ever changes, the links that have been shared can be easily repointed to a new location.

One recommendation would be to edit the original story map with an obvious note to communicate that version has been retired and provide a link to the new story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps