Custom Map Symbols not appearing on a StoryMap

Jump to solution
09-17-2020 08:43 AM
NatalieBurgos
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on creating a StoryMap and need to incorporate a map with custom symbols but they don't want to appear. In ArcGIS, they appear just fine at all scales but when I try to pull up the map in StoryMap they do not appear. I tried switching to some of the other provided symbols and those appear just fine. I'm wondering if it could be the file sizes of the custom symbols? I'm not sure how to get around this and have tried resizing the images as well with no luck. Due to the information, I am not able to publish the map just yet but I hope that I explained the issue well enough.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Natalie Burgos‌ -- Where are the images hosted? If they are hosted on your own server they are likely being blocked by CORS (web security) cross-domain policies.

Can you host the images on ArcGIS Online instead? Just upload them as image items, share them with Everyone (key step!), and use the URL shown at the bottom of the right sidebar to add them to your map. Images hosted on ArcGIS Online won't be blocked by CORS issues.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Natalie Burgos‌ -- Where are the images hosted? If they are hosted on your own server they are likely being blocked by CORS (web security) cross-domain policies.

Can you host the images on ArcGIS Online instead? Just upload them as image items, share them with Everyone (key step!), and use the URL shown at the bottom of the right sidebar to add them to your map. Images hosted on ArcGIS Online won't be blocked by CORS issues.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
NatalieBurgos
New Contributor

Hi Owen Evans,

Sorry it took me a while to respond but that was it! Thank you very much for your help!

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Great! Thanks for letting me know.

We also recently made some changes to how some content is proxied within StoryMaps, and for future projects you may also be able to use image symbols hosted on other servers.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos