Classic story map templates going away?

Jump to solution
09-16-2019 05:09 PM
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Our team just got an email from Michelle Bush regarding the story map contest, and she mentioned

"It would take some time to recreate your stories in ArcGIS StoryMaps, but it would be worth doing, as the classic templates will be going away at the end of next year (even though your existing story map URLs will still work indefinitely)."

Is it true that the classic templates will be going away completely? I thought they would remain but just not be updated/supported. I hope it's the latter, as we have dozens of story maps created over the years that we don't have the budget to re-create. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lindsay, 

It is most definitely the latter. This very question is answered in our FAQ page here: Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation . 

How long will the classic Esri Story Maps be available?

As Esri moves forward with the new ArcGIS StoryMaps, story authors will be able to create new stories with the classic templates for a full year after the initial release of ArcGIS StoryMaps, until July 2020. After July 2020, the classic templates will enter a two-year period of extended support. During this time, you will be able to edit classic stories that have already been created, but you will not be able to create new stories with the classic templates.

After July 2022, the classic templates will enter the mature support phase. At this time the builders will be fully disabled, but stories you have shared will continue to be accessible to you and your audience. After July 2024, the classic templates will be retired. However, this does not mean your stories will become unavailable. The classic stories you've made and shared will continue to be available after this date. ArcGIS StoryMaps is the next-generation storytelling tool for the ArcGIS platform, and story authors are encouraged to use this new tool to create stories. For more information about the road map for StoryMaps, see the Product road map page.

Please note that we do not have any plans to take down any of the stories that you have already authored using the templates or will continue to do so indefinitely. We're offering extended support till 2022 so that stories you have created will be viewed as they were intended. This is what my colleague inferred with the statement in the brackets: even though your existing story map URLs will still work indefinitely. 

Let me know if that helps,

Aravind

View solution in original post

15 Replies
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lindsay, 

It is most definitely the latter. This very question is answered in our FAQ page here: Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation . 

How long will the classic Esri Story Maps be available?

As Esri moves forward with the new ArcGIS StoryMaps, story authors will be able to create new stories with the classic templates for a full year after the initial release of ArcGIS StoryMaps, until July 2020. After July 2020, the classic templates will enter a two-year period of extended support. During this time, you will be able to edit classic stories that have already been created, but you will not be able to create new stories with the classic templates.

After July 2022, the classic templates will enter the mature support phase. At this time the builders will be fully disabled, but stories you have shared will continue to be accessible to you and your audience. After July 2024, the classic templates will be retired. However, this does not mean your stories will become unavailable. The classic stories you've made and shared will continue to be available after this date. ArcGIS StoryMaps is the next-generation storytelling tool for the ArcGIS platform, and story authors are encouraged to use this new tool to create stories. For more information about the road map for StoryMaps, see the Product road map page.

Please note that we do not have any plans to take down any of the stories that you have already authored using the templates or will continue to do so indefinitely. We're offering extended support till 2022 so that stories you have created will be viewed as they were intended. This is what my colleague inferred with the statement in the brackets: even though your existing story map URLs will still work indefinitely. 

Let me know if that helps,

Aravind

LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for clarifying Aravind. So after July 2022 we won't be able to make any edits/updates to our story maps that use the classic templates?

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Lindsay,

Yes that is our current plan. We are confident that by 2022, we will have most, if not all of the storytelling equivalencies that the classic templates have in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps builder. That is the reason why we have made the decision to turn off edits/updates to existing stories made with classic templates in 2022.

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
LindsayWithers1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Aravind, makes sense. Sadly I don't think we'll have the budget to re-create all of our existing story maps in the new builder, so sounds like we'll need try to get them in good shape before editing is disabled. And will the classic templates in our ArcGIS Enterprise/Portal be disabled in July 2022 as well?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Lindsay -- Classic templates will continue to work as they do today in currently deployed Enterprise portals indefinitely. At some future release of ArcGIS Enterprise, the classic templates may be disabled/retired in the same way as the templates Esri hosts in ArcGIS Online, but that determination has not yet been made.

Enterprise customers have control over when the ArcGIS software running on their portals is upgraded, so classic templates will continue to function until an Enterprise portal is upgraded to the future version at which the templates are disabled/retired.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
Koeller_Christine_A_-_DOT
New Contributor III

Is this still the most current information? We have a couple story maps using a Classic template that are going to be very difficult to redesign in the new Story Builder. We'd like to hold onto them for the next couple years in hopes that the ArcGIS Story Maps builder matures with more options to edit side panels, tabs, font sizes, better banner options, etc. What is the most current information we should be telling our developers about when they need to make the switch? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Koeller_Christine_A_-_DOT -- The latest information about the classic transition is here: 

Classic story map transition timeline (August 2021) (esri.com)

It'd be great if you could please share more information about why your stories would be difficult to redesign in ArcGIS StoryMaps. That is the type of information we are looking for to direct our development priorities.

What additional options would you like to see related to editing side panels, font sizes, and banners? Are there existing ideas on the ideas board that match what you are looking for? If not, I'd encourage you to add new ideas and link to them from this thread so others can comment on and upvote your ideas.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
Koeller_Christine_A_-_DOT
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

Thank you, yes we did see the Classic story map transition timeline (August 2021) (esri.com)

I also reviewed Previous Classic story map transition timeline (November 2019)

• This shows that Extended support will continue until ~June 2024 and we want to make sure that date is still correct. 

Yes, we will be submitting ArcGIS Ideas separately. I'm also trying to meet with someone at Esri to have a conversation about the difficulties we've identified. This post was intended to make sure that we have correctly read the timeline and are passing along the correct information to our GIS developers.

HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @OwenGeo , 

Would you be able to confirm when extended support will continue until for the Classic Story maps?  I had understood that we would be able to continue to edit existing classic story maps into the future - a number of my clients much, much prefer the layout style to the new story maps, and the thought that we might not be able to edit their story maps over the coming years is mildly terrifying!

Many thanks, 

Helen

0 Kudos