change group settings in StoryMaps for co-editing

Jump to solution
10-08-2021 07:22 AM
SylviaJones
New Contributor II

Can someone go back in and change the group settings in storymaps to allow for group editing, after a story has been published?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SylviaJones  - Sure, you can change the sharing for a published story at any time, even if you don't republish. Just go to the ... menu in the builder and choose Sharing settings.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.31.15 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.31.26 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
FourCornersMapping
New Contributor III

Hi @SylviaJones,  In my experience with Groups, if that setting is not enabled when you set up the Group, you have to create another group with Shared Updates enabled. Then you share all the content that's in the old group with the new group, invite the same users, and delete the old group. If you want collaboration across organizations, you'd enable that setting at that time too. There might be a more elegant solution, but that's what I've had to do a couple of times. I would definitely like to see this feature added, namely allowing for Shared Updates to be toggled after a group is set up. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SylviaJones  - Sure, you can change the sharing for a published story at any time, even if you don't republish. Just go to the ... menu in the builder and choose Sharing settings.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.31.15 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.31.26 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
SylviaJones
New Contributor II

Thank you; I did that, but it seems that the group didn't have "update" capabilities when I first created it -- can I go back and change that, without affecting anything?

0 Kudos
FourCornersMapping
New Contributor III

Hi @SylviaJones,  In my experience with Groups, if that setting is not enabled when you set up the Group, you have to create another group with Shared Updates enabled. Then you share all the content that's in the old group with the new group, invite the same users, and delete the old group. If you want collaboration across organizations, you'd enable that setting at that time too. There might be a more elegant solution, but that's what I've had to do a couple of times. I would definitely like to see this feature added, namely allowing for Shared Updates to be toggled after a group is set up. 

SylviaJones
New Contributor II

Thank you; that is what I've been fearing. But I guess I'll just have to do that, if it will solve the problem.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Yep, @FourCornersMapping is correct. You cannot update that property of a group after the group is created. A group must be created as an update group from the beginning.

Imagine if you added a bunch of your stories to a group to share them with others, and then the group owner decided to make that group an update group. A lot of people would suddenly have edit access to every story in the group. 😞 

Owen Evans