Can you transfer a Story to another ESRI account?

Jump to solution
09-16-2019 03:02 PM
KimBaldwin
New Contributor

I created my first story map today using ArcGIS StoryMaps on my public account (by accident) & need to transfer the story to my organisation account. My usernames are linked. How do I do this?? There must be a way to transfer...

31 Replies
SCAGGISLA
New Contributor II

Thanks @OwenGeo.

here is the ID (77097c02cb034a46a3a911ae7221e84b) for the storymap which I am trying to copy from. It is already shared publicly.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SCAGGISLA -- Could you share the ID of the broken story as well?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
SCAGGISLA
New Contributor II

@OwenGeo . Here is the ID (8d686688280845a8ac73e70a4fd9da92) which is broken after the transfer. I have temporarily shared it publicly.

0 Kudos
SCAGGISLA
New Contributor II

@OwenGeo  Did you get a chance to look into? were you able to replicate the issue at your side?

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, we looked into this and we're not able to reproduce the issue. Here's a copy of the story that I made in my account using the ArcGIS Assistant, and it appears to be working as expected.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/b1e9b110c51741ad983b378534246ff3

Which method are you using to copy the story? The ArcGIS Assistant or the python script mentioned in this thread?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
SCAGGISLA
New Contributor II

Hi, @OwenGeo thanks for the quick response. I can confirm this is not copied correctly. If you notice then the id for both original and copied are the same! (77097c02cb034a46a3a911ae7221e84b)

Also, did you try to edit this story map (newly copied version) on the AGOL item page? Do you see any errors?

I understand this assistant is developed by the professional team not officially supported by the ESRI support however I would be happy to open a ticket with the support team if that can be useful to explain in more detail, expedite the issue and look into the same.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SCAGGISLA -- Sorry, I did paste the wrong URL in initially, but edited my post with the correct URL about a minute later. The updated URL does point to the duplicate item that works as expected. Here's that URL again.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/b1e9b110c51741ad983b378534246ff3

There is a known issue with ArcGIS Assistant that it doesn't update the URL property of the duplicate item. A fix for that issue will be deployed soon, but until then you can manually edit the URL property to update it.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
SCAGGISLA
New Contributor II

@OwenGeo  Understod. This does make sense. I updated the IDs my side too.

I tried again copying using your item ID and it went fine however after then I tried to edit/configure on the AGOL item page and it gives the below error. Do you see this error too on your copied version?

below is the screenshot for the workflow I followed for copying.

SCAGGISLA_0-1633015646875.png

SCAGGISLA_1-1633015922569.png

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SCAGGISLA -- When using ArcGIS Assistant, you need to make sure that the account that you're using to initiate the copy owns the story being copied. If not, the duplicate story won't be editable.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
SCAGGISLA
New Contributor II

Hi @OwenGeo  apologies for the little late response. I believe that's what I am doing. Please see the steps I am following. I feel it's a bug but requires your team's attention.

Step 1-
login to AGOL Assitant (sign in with ArcGIS Online) using the admin user

Step 2- on the top menu selected ArcGIS Online and then search the item (story map) which need to copy (id is 77097c02cb034a46a3a911ae7221e84b) the owner for this item is another user from a different organization.

Step 3- Select item and click on copy item option

Step 4- Copying item option displayed- choose an account to copy to. The primary AGOL account chosen which I used earlier to login to the assistant at step1
Step 4.1- option popups- this is an admin account. Choose a user within this organization to copy to..- a user was selected (same AGOL user with admin access which was used to login at step1)
Step 4.2- option popups- Choose a folder to copy to...(an existing folder was selected)
Step 4.3- click on the copy item button.
Step 4.3- button popped up  with the confirmation that copied 1 item (open in ArcGIS Online)

Step 5- the new item opened on the AGOL item page> click on configure> shows an error - Hmm... there seems to be an issue. The story builder can’t be loaded.

Also, this new item carried a new id on the item page but if check on the item setting page or in the assistant JSON editor then shows the original item id which was used to create the new one.

Please let me know your thoughts.

0 Kudos