Can't add map to Story Map

01-23-2021 01:35 AM
Thorsten_Kahlert
New Contributor II

I am working on a small story map and wan't to add a simple webmap. It consists of a base layer and two polygon feature classes with 2 and 3 individual features. Nothing fancy at all and it works just fine when I open it in the web editor. When I try to load the web map into the story map, however, it is stuck on loading. It was working just fine yesterday and I had it successfully running in the story map. But today I got a blank element and experienced the above when trying to re-add it.

Does anybody have any idea how to resolve the issue?

15 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Thorsten_Kahlert -- I'm sorry you're having an issue adding a map to your story. Can you share the map with everyone and provide a link to it here so we can take a quick look?

If you can't share the map publicly, please contact Esri Tech Support and they will be able to help you troubleshoot.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
ChristianBPedersen
Occasional Contributor II

We are also experiencing this error now in two different ArcGIS StoryMap projects. When adding a new map to the Sidecar slider, it won’t open the map selection overview, but closes immediately again with no error.

The problem seems to occur very randomly. Sometimes when exceeding 5 slides or sometimes when we exceed more than 4 sidecars.

We have never experienced this problem before and it seems to have occurred after the previous update.

Christian Pedersen
GIS developer at Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (GEUS)

Christian Brogaard Pedersen
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@ChristianBPedersen -- I apologize that you are having this issue. We did some testing on our end and we're not able to reproduce this, so I'd recommend that you please contact Esri Technical Support. They will be able to further assist you.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
ChristianBPedersen

Hi @OwenGeo. We have contacted our Esri support and we are having a meeting this afternoon about it.

I think though, that the problem seems to be an issue with the individual slides in the Sidecar. I can replicate the problem when adding a fifth slide or more in the sidecar. On the other hand, if I add the fifth slide not in sequence order, but after for instance the second slide, I don’t get this issue. So somehow the problem seems to happen when adding the fifth slide and trying to add a map to it.

JamesPoeschel
New Contributor III

Thank you. I have this problem now even after the update. But adding a new map as the second slide, then moving it down works great. 

0 Kudos
JonathanBarnsley
New Contributor II

@ChristianBPedersen this sounds similar to the issue that I was having. Have you tried wiping your cache? It's my new first step when something unusual is happening, and it seems to fix most of the issues.

ChristianBPedersen

Hi @JonathanBarnsley Thank you for  this suggestion. I tried to clear all my browser cache, but unfortunately it does not seem to fix this issue. I also tried this with different other browsere, but with the same problem.

It seems to be an issue with the individual slides in the Sidecar. I can replicate the problem when adding the fifth slide in the sidecar. On the other hand, if I add the fifth slide not in sequence, but after for instance the second slide, I don’t get the issue. So somehow the problem appears when adding the fifth slide and trying to add a map.

JonathanBarnsley
New Contributor II

Hi @ChristianBPedersen, yeah that's a bit annoying but at least a potential work around. I think that might have been similar for me initially, and weirdly I could load in slide/split maps no troubles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution of sorts!

0 Kudos
ChristianBPedersen

Hi @JonathanBarnsley  and @OwenGeo,

Just to follow up on this issue. We contacted Esri Customer Care and they could confirm and reproduce the error, but since then a new update of StoryMaps has been released in the beginning of November. A hot fix seems to have fixed this issue related to the release note 'Layers occasionally wouldn't load in mapping apps added as sequential items in a collection; this is resolved'. After this update we no longer have this issue.

Release notes—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation