Building Story Map using Native-Land.ca data

Jump to solution
05-12-2021 12:37 PM
BriannaForcier1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm working on creating a Story Map and I would like to show historical native land territories such as what's found on the website Native-Land.ca

I found that they have an API however I am not a developer and am not sure how to implement this data.  https://native-land.ca/resources/api-docs/

I looked for a service hosting this data and couldn't really find anything.

Any guidance would be great! 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ross
by
New Contributor

Thanks for your question. We're big fans of the native-land.ca resource. To bring this data into a story there are a few options. I will outline two workflows but there are countless others.

The easiest is to use the export map feature from the map viewer and bring in a static png to your story. The more customize route is to download the data. To do this you'll need copy the json file from the native-land.ca resource and then publish in your account in ArcGIS Online. Here are the steps

• On the Native land api-docs page there's a place that says files with links to the raw data (territories, languages, treaties). Click on that link and you'll see the raw json code
  • Copy all of this text and convert it to geojson. I often use this website (you'll need to create an account) https://geojson.io/
  • It will take a few mins for all the json to load in
  • Next you will save the file as a geojson
  • You can upload this directly to ArcGIS Online and bring into a story.
  • Here's an example file I downloaded from Native Land.ca geojson
  • Note: it's important to follow all of the use rights and citation outlined on Native-Land.ca. Feel free to contact them if you have questions about how you can use their data. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Ross
by
New Contributor

Thanks for your question. We're big fans of the native-land.ca resource. To bring this data into a story there are a few options. I will outline two workflows but there are countless others.

The easiest is to use the export map feature from the map viewer and bring in a static png to your story. The more customize route is to download the data. To do this you'll need copy the json file from the native-land.ca resource and then publish in your account in ArcGIS Online. Here are the steps

• On the Native land api-docs page there's a place that says files with links to the raw data (territories, languages, treaties). Click on that link and you'll see the raw json code
  • Copy all of this text and convert it to geojson. I often use this website (you'll need to create an account) https://geojson.io/
  • It will take a few mins for all the json to load in
  • Next you will save the file as a geojson
  • You can upload this directly to ArcGIS Online and bring into a story.
  • Here's an example file I downloaded from Native Land.ca geojson
  • Note: it's important to follow all of the use rights and citation outlined on Native-Land.ca. Feel free to contact them if you have questions about how you can use their data.