Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Story Map Requests and Issues

08-06-2019 10:14 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hey Story Maps Team, 

As always, you all are doing such a great job building out this brand new template. While working with the new template after the UC release I found some things that could be fixed and could make the new template even more powerful. In addition I recently came across this GeoNet post  by Stephanie Smith‌ which covers many of the requests that I also was going to add. I thought I would add these requests here as well. 

I would love to see the following: 

1. Increase the amount of user customization for font type, size, justification, spacing, colors, etc. in every block option and not just in the major theme settings.
  2. Ability for users to change dimensions of embedded content, if they choose, instead of being locked only to the app presets (maybe a css override option).
  3. Allow for images to "gallery" next to each other like in the cascade layout instead of only allowing stacking. 
  4. Allow for adding content to sidecar like images and videos via a url instead of only uploading from a computer.
  5. Add the ability to embed a webpage into the sidecar.
  6. Ability to add small text for credits or notes in the side car. Right now there is not a clean way to give photo, video, or map credit.
  7. Increase map setting options beyond only allowing or not allowing a legend. It would be nice to be able to choose legend placement, if you wanted a home button or other basic map options. It would also be nice to have a pop-up option that does not convert the pop-up to a table layout.
  8. Add the option to have cards that are right image/left text card instead of only a left image option.
  9. Add a credits section or WYSIWYG html block to customize your own.

Here are some additional functionality requests/ things I've noticed while working with the new Story Map template: 

Requests: (in addition to the above)

• Add in a stock photo resource in the interface (like Cascade's Unsplash) (Pixabay is also one of my favorite resources which would be awesome to have)
  • The ability to move around content sections without having to re-write or delete content. 
  • Ability to control paragraph spacing (less space between text lines).
  • Option to center text block in story. 

Issues: 

• The Undo CTRL-Z functionality doesn’t always work.
  • When using Bullet points, sometimes the formatting is wonky and glitches/ doesn't behave as most text editors do. In addition I would like to see the ability to mix bullet points and numbers or even sub bullets for a more structured option (visual organization in bullet form with hierarchy). 
  • When Copy and pasting, sometimes it doesn't work. 

Thanks for all your hard work!
    Best, 
    Amanda 
24 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Jason Smolinski‌ / Bryan Hemmer‌ -- The ability to click to expand images is coming in a few weeks. 🙂 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That is excellent news Owen! When will the June update be deployed?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

More legend options would be helpful. I received a comment from one of my co-workers in regard to the legend being displayed by default (similar to Journal).

Have a way to be able to “pin” the map legend open so it’s possible to do a screen grab of the map with its legend.  I was able to effectively do this using a screen grab with a time-delay, but that’s probably more than we want to ask of all users.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd like to have transparent floating sidecars if I could.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Michael -- We're working on them! Hope to have them out in the next month or two.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos