Adding self-recorded videos to Story Maps. Not uploading at 48mb.

Jump to solution
04-12-2021 03:41 PM
TiffanieGarner
New Contributor

I am creating a story map and want to include a 15 min, self recorded video. I have compressed the video to 48mb but Story Maps is saying my file is larger than 50mb. How do I fix this issue? I have tried compressing it further but then there are quality issues where video does not align with the sound. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@TiffanieGarner -- I have seen cases where the file size reported by the operating system is not correct, or at least it's not the same as the size detected by the browser.

Even though 50 MB is the maximum size for uploading video files, it's often best to use shorter videos to improve the experience for your readers (especially if you expect a significant number of readers on mobile devices (lower bandwidth connections).

I'd recommend looking into splitting your video into two or more parts and uploading them separately in the builder. Or you can host your current video on a video hosting service like Vimeo or YouTube (which also has additional optimizations for serving large video files).

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@TiffanieGarner -- I have seen cases where the file size reported by the operating system is not correct, or at least it's not the same as the size detected by the browser.

Even though 50 MB is the maximum size for uploading video files, it's often best to use shorter videos to improve the experience for your readers (especially if you expect a significant number of readers on mobile devices (lower bandwidth connections).

I'd recommend looking into splitting your video into two or more parts and uploading them separately in the builder. Or you can host your current video on a video hosting service like Vimeo or YouTube (which also has additional optimizations for serving large video files).

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
TiffanieGarner
New Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions! I added the video to Vimeo and file linked in perfectly! Thank you! 

0 Kudos