2 Q's. Does Sidecar have a maximum no of slides? And a Copy/Paste Question

Jump to solution
04-22-2021 01:36 AM
SimonTDC
New Contributor III

Hello, two questions if I may.  The first is in the title regarding the number of slides you can have in sidecar.

The second is to know the fastest way to complete a task.  

Using sidecar, one of my colleagues created a story which has multiple headers but they have created it all on one slide.  I need to split it into different slides as each needs a different image/map.  My first effort was to create a new slide and copy/past content onto it, but you only seem to be able to copy/paste one paragraph at a time.  My second idea was to duplicate the first slide and then delete the content from it that I dont need.

Is it possible to copy/paste multiple sections of text?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SimonTDC - There is no hard limit to the number of slides you can have in a sidecar; however, you want to think about your audience and the best way to present your content. Will people really spend time scrolling through a really long sidecar? It's best to vary the elements you use in a story as it keeps the audience interested and engaged. Consider creating multiple sidecar that are separated by other inline sections.If you have a lot of content, think about breaking it into multiple stories and binding them together in a StoryMap collection. How you organize your story can make a big different in how people engage with it.

Most great stories that I see have 10 or fewer slides in a single sidecar, and I think you'd need a really compelling reason to have more than 20.

At this time, it is not possible to copy/paste multiple blocks of text. This is a limitation that we are not happy with, and we are working on a solution that we hope to make available in the next few months. As you mentioned, duplicating a slide and then removing what you don't need from the copy is currently the best option.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SimonTDC - There is no hard limit to the number of slides you can have in a sidecar; however, you want to think about your audience and the best way to present your content. Will people really spend time scrolling through a really long sidecar? It's best to vary the elements you use in a story as it keeps the audience interested and engaged. Consider creating multiple sidecar that are separated by other inline sections.If you have a lot of content, think about breaking it into multiple stories and binding them together in a StoryMap collection. How you organize your story can make a big different in how people engage with it.

Most great stories that I see have 10 or fewer slides in a single sidecar, and I think you'd need a really compelling reason to have more than 20.

At this time, it is not possible to copy/paste multiple blocks of text. This is a limitation that we are not happy with, and we are working on a solution that we hope to make available in the next few months. As you mentioned, duplicating a slide and then removing what you don't need from the copy is currently the best option.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
SimonTDC
New Contributor III

@OwenGeo Thank you for the advise - again! On another topic with sidecar, now I have split my content into different slides, I seem to have a very large gap above and below my text.  This is like it is centralised horizontally to a longer frame.  Is there a way to set it to the top? And without the large gap at the bottom?

Screenshot attached.  Thank youCapture.PNG

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SimonTDC -- That is the spacing that is currently available for sidecars, but we have heard from other customers who would like to adjust this. We are looking at providing some options to do that in the future, but at the moment there is no way to change that.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos