Unlisted Option When Publishing

09-27-2021 09:02 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A colleague wrote to me this morning asking about the possibility of an "unlisted" option for StoryMaps. I'm sure this topic is above StoryMap level and probably on an organizational level, but since she referred specifically to StoryMaps I will post here.

It would be helpful if there was something similar to an unlisted option where folks would only need a link and not have to create an account to review StoryMaps. When uploading a video in YouTube these options are available so you can decide who has the ability to see the video. We know we can share to different groups and publish publicly already, but we were thinking an unlisted option might be useful. Maybe include the ability to choose or create your own watermark (DRAFT, DO NOT DISTRIBUTE, etc.) that will be visible on every page so it is not mistaken for a finished product.

After a search of GeoNet I did come across this AGOL Idea from 2016 but there hasn't been any movement even though it has 55 kudos (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-ideas/privacy-setting-arcgis-online-unsearchable-but/idc...).

Tags (3)
6 Comments
ScottJones1

Not sure if this is the same request I was hoping for. But it would be nice to have a "hide" option for various sections. So the storymap could still be available while you are working on additional content.

OwenGeo

@ScottJones1 -- Not sure this gets all the way to what you are looking for, but you can currently hide slides in sidecars, slideshows, and tours.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 9.18.53 AM.jpg

@Anonymous User -- We're a bit limited in what we can offer as an individual app in terms of an unlisted option. I do believe that has been discussed at various times, but unfortunately I don't have any news about movement on that request.

SaraJL
by

@OwenGeo This thread was a while ago - I'm curious if there were any plans in the future! We would also be very interested in a "public but not searchable" option for sharing Story Maps.

The primary reason for this is we have had situations were students want to have their Story Maps public for academic purposes - but the content they may create is sensitive material (either politically or socially)

• Example - We had an international student who was stopped by customs while traveling in another country because the Story Map she created was considered "divisive". They had located her Story Map through a Google Search.
  • We want to promote academic freedom and the freedom to create projects on any materials - but still protect our users from potentially tricky situations!
OwenGeo

@SaraJL -- We are currently working on a feature that will allow you to publish a StoryMap that is shared with everyone but not register it with web search engines. The StoryMap will still be findable in ArcGIS Online searches, but not web search engines such as Google.

We expect this feature to be available in August 2023. Note that it will be available for subscription accounts, but not for free, public accounts.

SaraJL
by

@OwenGeo That is awesome! Our organization users have asked about it a few times over the last couple years, it will be super helpful and they will be really happy about having an unlisted option.

Thank you for the update!

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Implemented

The option to publish a StoryMap but not register it with search engines was added in August 2023. For more information, see What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (August 2023) (esri.com).

I'm going to close this as implemented since the main portion of this idea is now available. If the other enhancements mentioned above are still desired (watermark, etc.), please submit a new idea to track those.