Textured background and more font choices

11-25-2020 06:23 AM
Labels (1)
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I would like the ability to set an image as the background of my story map (i.e. a repeating pattern to add some texture) and the option to import custom fonts to keep in line with company website/branding. In the past, the company that I work for has used sway to create a page highlighting GIS projects from the past year. This year I would like to use story maps because it integrates well with the ESRI products that we use. The limited themes, ability to select from only a dozen or so fonts, and colour choices limits the creative process. 

12 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: Under Consideration

OwenGeo

@SarahHartholt -- Thanks for adding this idea. We are looking at a few ways to add more options to the font choices in theme builder and it would be very helpful to know which fonts you are interested in using. Could you please share a list of the fonts that you'd like to utilize in a theme?

I've also passed your idea for a repeating background image on to our design team for consideration.

SarahHartholt

Thanks @OwenGeo ! I would like to be able to use the roboto slab & museo font families.

KateHodgeEnv

@OwenGeo - Roboto (non-slab) as well!

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Setting the status to "Under consideration" since there are two ideas mentioned in this thread.

• More font choices are in the product plan
  • Additional backgrounds are under consideration 
OwenGeo

The ability to use over 1000 open source fonts from Google Fonts was added in February 2021. For more information see What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (February 2021) (esri.com)

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Implemented

@SarahHartholt -- I've marked this idea as implemented since more font choices have been added.

If you are still interested in additional background options, please create a new idea for that request so others can vote for it.

DickieRigdon

Hello,

@OwenGeo Did Esri take away the use of Roboto font with the recent AGOL update?  The classic version web map apps I had created with Roboto font (in the widget html), now default to Times New Roman.  Roboto used to work.

Thanks

OwenGeo

@DickieRigdon -- I'm not sure I'm following what you mean. Could you please provide some more detail including some screenshots showing where you are seeing the differences in font usage? What classic web map apps are you referring to?

DickieRigdon

Hi, @OwenGeo thanks for asking. I'm using the Foldable Theme in the ArcGIS Web AppBuilder.  Although the widgets offer seven font choices (see photo), one can go in to the HTML editor and change the font to something different as I have done with Roboto (see photo example shown).  This used to work before the latest AGOL update.  Now, even with the HTML changed to Roboto, the App will override the code and default the font to Times New Roman, as seen in the last photo example.  It seems as though Roboto is no longer connecting to Esri on your end.  A published App has reverted to Times New Roman and the two Apps I'm about to publish no longer display Roboto.  I want to use Roboto because it is a preferred font at the Department of Conservation.  Please let me know if you need any additional information.  I would love to be able to use Roboto in our Apps.

fonts offeredfonts offered

html to change fonthtml to change font

defaults to Times New Romandefaults to Times New Roman