Increase character limit in attribution text for media

01-28-2022 12:36 AM
AGP
by
Occasional Contributor

Attribution text is now limited to 100 characters and often that's not enough. 

When images do not have a title I add text about the who, what, where & when of the image (and afterwards the name of owner of the media). Sometimes it's not easy to make it fit in 100 characters.

Through my experience 120-125 characters would be more than enough. A small increase but a great improvement, with no negative impact on the stroymap navigation. 

4 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Thanks for this suggestion, @AGP. We'll run this by our designers to see if there are any concerns with increasing the attribution character limit.

OwenGeo
Status changed to: In Product Plan

@AGP - No objections from our end. We're going to try to get this in for one of our February releases.

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Implemented

@AGP -- The character limit for attribution was increased to 125 in yesterday's update.

See the What's new post and the release notes for more detail about what's been added to ArcGIS StoryMaps this month.

PeterKnoop

(@OwenGeo since this Idea is tagged implemented, should I instead create a new one?)

We would like to see the limit increased further. If one is providing references formatted like what one finds in many academic journal publications -- or indeed is cutting and pasting such attributions -- then a much larger limit is needed, such as 1000-characters.

For example, this is 278 characters: "Knoop, Peter A., and van der Pluijm, Ben (2006) GeoPad: Tablet PC-enabled Field Science Education. In: The Impact of Pen-based Technology on Education: Vignettes, Evaluations, and Future Directions ; editors: Dave Berque, Jane Prey, and Rob Reed. Purdue University Press. 200pp."

Thanks!