Hyperlink within a StoryMap

01-06-2022 03:58 AM
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

I'd love to be able to hyperlink to other sections within a StoryMap, it would really help with navigation. 

For example, linking to a heading or subheading from within the text, or linking to the credits section from within the main text would be super helpful. 

9 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: Already Offered

This is available for headings/subheadings. Please see this article for details...

How to create a link to somewhere else in your sto... - Esri Community

If you have a need to link to the credits, you can place a heading/subheading just above them at the end of your story. We are looking into this in a future release.

HelenCooper

Thanks @OwenGeo , sorry - I should have been clearer in my suggestion, the trouble with that is that the links open in new tabs.  Is there a way of getting around this?  I've tried adding target="_self" to the end of the URL but can't get the link to work then. 

HelenCooper

It would also help with navigation around collections - where you might want to guide a user to a particular point in the story (and stay within the same browser tab). 

OwenGeo

@HelenCooper -- Hmm, could you please try again? Here's a test story I just made where the link at the bottom of the story is are operating as expected (not opening in a new tab).

There is currently a known issue where if you copy/paste text that has an internal link already configured it will open in a new tab, so you may have run into that. We're looking to get that addressed in an upcoming release. But when you configure the links for the first time they should just jump to the heading in the same tab.

We are looking into linking within collections, but there are some technical challenges with linking to content embedded within other content that we need to work through.

HelenCooper

Hi @OwenGeo , I've just tried again and it has worked perfectly this time!  I'm not sure why it didn't when I tried it previously. 

Thank you for persisting with this!

The linking within collections would be great within time as well, thank you.

Helen

HelenCooper

Hi @OwenGeo , I wondered if there had been any progress with hyperlinks in collections?  Specifically I'm trying to hyperlink from one point in a storymap within a collection to another storymap within the same collection; whilst keeping in the same browser tab.  I've tried adding target="_self" to the hyperlink but this doesn't have any effect. 

Very many thanks, 

Helen

OwenGeo

@HelenCooper -- That is not something we have in our plans right now, but if you'd like to see this added in the future, please create a new idea on our ideas board so we can track interest in this.

If you're looking to simply point to the next item in the collection (not necessarily link directly to a section of another story in the collection) you can upvote and add comments to this idea: Up next button in collections - Esri Community.

HelenCooper

Thanks @OwenGeo 

OwenGeo

@HelenCooper -- In yesterday's update to ArcGIS StoryMaps we made the workflow for creating a link to another part of your story much easier. Now there is an option in the story builder when you create a link to select a heading in your story to link to. Selecting this option pops up a list of the headings in your story that you can pick from.

A similar option is available in briefings that lets you create a link to another slide.

We hope you find this enhancement useful!

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 9.14.26 AM.jpg