Enable hover popups on maps

08-24-2021 10:23 AM
Labels (2)
MartySchnure
New Contributor III

Map popups that display on hover rather than click are easier for users and generate more engagement. It would be fantastic to have this functionality when we embed interactive maps in Story Maps. I realize that this isn't a Story Map specific request as much as it is a Map Viewer request, but wanted to pass it along anyway, since Story Maps are the window so many people use to display and interact with web maps. Thanks for considering! 

Tags (3)
6 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@MartySchnure -- Hover pop-ups are currently available on express maps. Can you check that out and let us know if that meets your needs? For more on express maps see What is an express map and why should you use one?.

Check out the map in this section of our giraffe story...

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/358b83b5f776402fa726cfa316aa197c#ref-sZRbQx

Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 1.28.54 PM.jpg

MartySchnure

Thanks for the response, Owen. It's great that hover popups are possible with express maps. However, all the maps we make require custom data layers that are beyond what is currently possible with express maps. It would be awesome to see some of the capabilities of express maps added to Map Viewer!

BrittanyBurson

Thanks for your input @OwenGeo.

Here to agree with @MartySchnure but to also ask that the web app/maps offer a scale dependency for when to enable hover. I'm finding with our maps that have a high density of features, such as census tracts, the hover becomes very busy as you drag the mouse around.

Pop-up also covers a large percentage of the map, and when hover is enabled by default at all scales, it is hard to even find a second to hover over what you are interested in.

BrittanyBurson_0-1643305877709.png

I'll make an Idea post for this.

OwenGeo

@BrittanyBurson -- Sounds good. Please be sure to create your idea in the ArcGIS Online idea board since web map behavior is not a piece of functionality that comes from StoryMaps.

BrittanyBurson

For anyone else here interested in the future of hover pop-ups I made some comments in this Idea here

CRose
by

@OwenGeo I would like to use  "hover" popups on a map showing several rivers. I have the rivers highlighted in a bold color in a line feature layer. I want the user to mouse over a point marker to see the river name, and have the feature layer of lines visible in the background. I have not been able to find a way, since Express Maps don't allow a feature layer to show in the background. 

I hope that helps to clarify why Express Maps don't quite work for me, and why it would be useful to allow hover popups in web maps or to allow a feature layer to be visible in the background of an Express Map. 

Thanks for considering.