Add storymap photo/link in map tour image box

04-27-2021 10:57 AM
Labels (3)
SarahLevy1
New Contributor II

When adding a new story to to a map tour or map explorer, it would be great to be able to link to another storymap in the media box and have a photo pop up (such as the photo chosen as the thumbnail to the existing storymap). We have storymaps about really cool things our agency is doing, but there's no way to profile it in a storymap tour/explorer. Currently, we can only add an image or link to a video. When making a regular storymap, it's possible to embed another storymap. That's exactly what I want in a storymap tour or explorer.

4 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@SarahLevy1 -- Can you clarify your idea a bit? I'm not exactly sure how you'd like to integrate the story link.

It's currently possible to add a hyperlink anywhere in a tour place's description. Just highlight the text and select the link tool.

Would that work as a way to link to a story about the current tour place? 

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 6.16.18 PM.jpg

SarahLevy1
I'd like to be able to easily link to a storymap here:

[cid:217e816f-5744-445d-b78b-846495e250c1]

So that it shows up here:

[cid:87971aa1-b5bc-4cbc-997f-4f3f3a3329fd]

Ideally, you could click on the picture, and it would take you directly to the storymap. I have embedded storymap links in the text, but I've needed to take a screenshot of the storymap itself (or use the existing thumbnail), and then post the link separately.
OwenGeo

@SarahLevy1  - Unfortunately your images didn't come though, could you please repost them?

SarahLevy1
I've attached them instead of embedding them this time, so I hope it works.

I would like to be able to link (storymap link 2.jpg) to the storymap in the photo box (storymap link.jpg). That way when people click on the picture, it takes them directly to the storymap. You're right, I can post the hyperlink in the text, but I think it would be easier for the reader (and more obvious) to just click the picture.

Additionally, it would be nice for the Map Tour to be able to "grab" the thumbnail of the embedded storymap when you link to it (storymap link 2.jpg). For the ones I've posted, I need to download or find the thumbnail, post it as a picture, and then hyperlink to the other story map in the text.