Add Map Series and Tabbed Themes to New StoryMaps

12-11-2020 11:30 AM
Labels (1)
GISTeam8
New Contributor II

Add map series and tabbed layouts to the new StoryMaps similar to what StoryMaps Classic has, such that it allows you to create multiple immersive maps (e.g. Guided tour), regular maps, or web apps (e.g. Web AppBuilder apps) to be displayed in separate tabs within a single Story.

Tags (2)
20 Comments
DerekPhyn

@OwenGeo Yes how it worked in the classic version was great, except that map location sync would only work with webmaps. If I wanted to include an app in one of the story map tabs then that would not maintain location synchronisation like the other tabs that were built using webmaps. A story map that maintained location synchronisation as an option but also had the functional power of web apps would be a very useful tool. See an old idea I logged in the past about this. Now might be the opportunity to develop this given your suggestion above for using collections to bundle apps together in a tabbed application?

OwenGeo

Thanks for the info about syncing web map locations.

given your suggestion above for using collections to bundle apps together in a tabbed application

Please note that I didn't suggest collections was the right tool to bundle apps together. We recommend the Portfolio Instant App for that use case.

DerekPhyn

Thanks @OwenGeo noted. Are you able to change the status of this idea or is it still "Needs clarification"? I'd like to give it a kudo and share it around the Emergency Management community in New Zealand so they can do the same. Here in NZ the Map Series Story Map has been very popular in the emergency management community. Many local Councils use it to produce Hazards portals where users can explore different hazards for the same location (hence the need for Map Location Synchronisation). However, it is also a key tool in emergency operation centres where multiple key dashboards, apps and other websites (e.g. weather sites) could be bundled into one story map that would then cycle through the tabs on the big screen to serve as the primary media platform for a common operating picture of the emergency response. So I guess that ability to apply settings and automatically cycle through tabs at predefined time intervals is another key feature from the Classic Map Series Story Map we'd love to see carried over to ArcGIS StoryMaps.

OwenGeo

Hi @DerekPhyn -- This particular thread will likely always retain the "needs clarification" status because it contains many individual enhancements (add tabbed navigation, add map choreography, add individual apps, add web pages, synchronize extents across embedded apps, provide more GIS-style tools for maps), and it has evolved into a broad discussion on the various uses of Map Series.

The Esri Community idea submission guidelines encourage one submission/one idea and indicate that threads that contain multiple ideas should retain "Needs clarification" status and have kudos disabled. We're happy to continue discussion on this thread as related questions come up, but this thread, in its current state, doesn't contain one specific idea that can be acted upon by the development team.

Several of the ideas mentioned have been added to ArcGIS StoryMaps since the original idea was posted:

• ArcGIS web apps can be added to a collection
  • Tabbed (and bulleted) navigation similar to series have been added to collections
  • Web content can be added to a collection via URL or embed code (if the content permits embedding)

If there are specific ideas or enhancements for ArcGIS StoryMaps that haven't yet been implemented that you'd like others to comment on and vote for, it would be best if you could please submit them as new individual ideas and socialize them amongst the community.

However, I want to reiterate what I mentioned in my last post and this earlier post: creating a binder of GIS apps is not a use case that ArcGIS StoryMaps collections are being designed and built for.

We understand that many classic Series apps were created as app binders and recognize that many people still have this need. That's why we've worked together with the amazing folks on our Instant Apps team to help them understand this use case so they can provide an alternative. That alternative is the new, modern app (Portfolio), which is being built to meet the needs of those who created binders with the classic Series app.

If you have ideas related to creating a map and app binder, I would encourage you to submit them to the Instant Apps Ideas Board and reference the Portfolio app. That app is directly targeting the use case you are interested in.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have more questions.

Koeller_Christine_A_-_DOT

I cannot Kudos the first "Idea" but I do agree with the original message and the comments by @ChelseaRozek and @BillGareth. We have a couple classic "Map Series" story maps that we have not been able to move over to the new story maps builder with its current capabilities. I looked into Collections and that is not going to work for us:

1. We would have to create three story maps plus a collection to replace one story map (that's additional content items to manage and keep track of). 
  2. It requires extra clicks and scrolls for the user which is not ideal
  3. Navigating between the Collection and a story, then back to the Collection (which would be needed) would not be ideal

I have built an app using the instructions provided by @OwenGeo and what we were able to create is not what we were expecting for our users. I am going to look at other ArcGIS Ideas that people have submitted to see if there's any more details already provided elsewhere. If not, I'll add specific comments about our "ideas" for a better side car, banner, font options, paragraph options, navigation buttons, and more.

From Owen's 8/23/21 comment: For the specific version of #2 where you want "tabs" at the top that move the reader through your story via clicking rather than scrolling, try this out and see if it works for you:

1. Create a new story and add a sidecar (either layout will work)
  2. Add slides as needed and configure the same map with different visible layers and/or extents in the media panel of each slide (this is map choreography)
  3. Add a heading to the top of the narrative panel of each slide. Then add any other text/media you need for that slide below the heading.
  4. Turn on Navigation (in the Design panel)

It would also be really nice if we could "Kudos" comments or reply to comments on these threads. I was going to reply directly to one of the above comments, but I didn't see that option available.

PatriciaBoras

We need the functionality in the classis Storymaps Shortlist. The tabbed component allows us to group associated images together and display associated images by simply clicking a tab.

This is helpful within an organization because each department can be assigned a tab and can click on the tab to see the images and corresponding location that pertain to their department.  This allows us to have one application with similar purpose yet  different audiences..

HaileyWright1

I’m trying to upgrade my deprecated story map series (tabbed) application to one of the latest templates. I was initially optimistic about the upgrade but the more I dive into this, the more discouraged I’m getting.  

In my story map series app I have several tabs, each displaying the same map configured to display a single layer. The custom configurations of content setting allowed me to define the visible layers of a map, essentially overriding the layer visibility saved with the map. I’m using the tabbed theme to manage exclusive visibility of layers (one layer per tab) without my users having to fumble around with layer lists and legends. This paired with the “synchronize map locations” setting (initial location of the first map is applied to all maps and navigation by users in any map is reflected in all maps) made for an extremely easy to use viewer.  As a replacement, I’ve looked into the Instant Apps Portfolio, Experience Builder, Story Maps, even Dashboards. They each have their strengths, but I’m having a hard time finding a suitable replacement. Here’s what I’ve found:

Instant App Portfolio – the template looks like a great solution layout wise, but I’d have to create several maps since the ability to override the visibility of layers doesn’t seem to exist (not a deal breaker) nor does the ability to synchronize the maps so that navigation by users in any map is reflected in all maps (deal breaker).

StoryMaps - seems to do map synchronization (or map choreography) well and I can easily replicate the exclusive visibility experience of my original single map by using buttons with actions in a sidecar. That tics both boxes but unfortunately my simple map centric viewer just isn’t translating well into the linear scrolling nature of StoryMaps.

Experience Builder - I’d have to create several separate maps each saved with a single layer toggled on since overriding the layer visibility saved with the map doesn’t appear to exist. Then in order to enable map synchronization I’d have configure each map with a zoom action and a pan action to each of the other maps (in my case that’s 112 total map actions!).

I really hope that I’ve missed something obvious, but at this point it’s looking like this upgrade will be considerably more work for an inferior product.  Please bring back Story Map Series!

OwenGeo

@HaileyWright1 - Thanks for providing your detailed feedback about your experience migrating your classic map series!

I agree that the Portfolio app is the best choice in your case. I think you'll be happy to know that it does have a configuration option to sync set the same map scales extent across tabs. Just go to Interactivity > Map location and toggle the Define location setting on. 

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 9.05.08 AM.jpg

As you noted, you will need to create separate web maps for each tab, so the workflow to create the app will be a bit different. If you'd like to see Portfolio add the ability to override layer visibility, please post that idea to ArcGIS Instant Apps Ideas - Esri Community.

I believe the Exhibit app does have this ability, so you could also evaluate that as a potential option. 

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 9.10.49 AM.jpg

OwenGeo

@HaileyWright1 -- I noticed you mentioned "and navigation by users in any map is reflected in all maps," which doesn't appear to be how the setting I mentioned above works, so this doesn't appear to be an exact fit for what you're looking for.

I'll check with the Instant Apps team to see if they can look into adding this capability and post back here when I have more info.

HaileyWright1

@OwenGeo - Greatly appreciated!

Here's another post about this Portfolio Template App - Sync Maps - Esri Community

And a screen cap of the synchronize map locations setting in the map series builder. For my case, Portfolio will fit like a glove with this capability added. 

HaileyWright1_0-1701097288589.png